Merlin's experience

" I just can't stop thinking about my soulmate.  What if they don't like me, they could hate me, they could be magic haters!" Merlin starts rambling to his best friend Will. "Here  we go agin." Will mutters. "I mean tomorrow is my 18th birthday and I'm going to get my soul mark. What if they aren't born yet or I never find them!" Merlin starts talking fast and moving his arms about while holding the axe. Will knows he has to stop Merlin before he gets into a panic and knocks over the tree or chops his head off with his wild arm.

"Merlin, stop worrying, you know those things aren't true. You've told me yourself that you have felt there pain and there happiness. That you've felt there scars and there smiles. So stop worrying and help me chop down this tree before you flatten us with it, or take my head off with axe!" Merlin looks up sheepishly and let's out a small laugh "Sorry" Merlin says after lowering his dangerous axe swinging arm. "Your right Will. I'm just worried they'll find out what I am and hate me for it." Merlin says feeling defeated.

"Come on Merlin you can't let what those idiots in the village say about you to have any effect." Will says with an encouraging smile. Merlin smiles and continues to help cut down the tree and make pointless conversation with his best and only friend. But the thoughts never leave his mind.

The sun is setting by the time they head back to the village. They drop the fire wood off and say there goodbyes. Merlin heads back to his and Hunith (his mother) hut. "Hey mum I'm home!" He hollers from the door. He can hear the his mum in the kitchen cooking and cleaning. 'I wonder if she heard me' Merlin thinks. ' I wonder what my soulmate will look like. Or how they'll act.' Merlin ponders these thoughts as he heads to the kitchen.

"Hey honey! How was your day?" Hunith asked. "It was fine, I'm a little nervous about getting my soul mark though." Merlin emitted while walking over to grab some porridge. "Well that's quite all right dear, everyone gets nervous about there soulmate. After you eat go wash up and go to bed and before you know it, it'll be tomorrow." Hunith said in a cheery yet caring manner.