What? || Jamal

"You're home!" my twin brother, Cesar, cried as i walked through the front door with my oldest brother, Oscar, carrying my bags behind me.

he wrapped me up in a tight hug and lifted me off the ground.

"I can't breathe!" i giggled tapping his shoulder as if i was tapping out of a match.

he released me from his suffocating embrace and placed me back onto my feet.

"God it's been so long!" Cesar cried with a smile still going from ear to ear.

"4 years hermanito." I reminded him, "I left for military school when i was 12."

"Ahhh yes," Oscar said from behind me "Brat Bootcamp. Shaping little brats into wonderful young ladies."

"Ha ha. very funny. i wasn't a brat." i gave him an annoyed glare.

"Right you weren't a brat just the spawn of Satan." Cesar joked taking my bags to my room.

i rolled my eyes and followed the male version of me down the hallway to the last door on the right. i stood outside the familiar white door. i turned the brass door knob and pushed the heavy hunk of wood open to find a room where memories were made.

4 white walls with posters splattered on them that hold all my old secrets, a bed in the corner of the room with black comforters where i used to plan how i'd get through the next day, a shelf crammed with books that i swore i never touched but in reality i read each one of them front to back billions of times, and window sill where i'd constantly sneak in and out from making my brothers worry so much they'd be in tears.

I closed my eyes and inhaled the air of the room. the faint smell of cigarettes and weed burned my nose.

"God i was such a disappointment..." i sighed turning around to face Cesar.

"Y/N... come on don't say that... we were all struggling at that time." he tried comforting me with a sorry look on him face.

"But i was a child smoking cigarettes and weed and drinking alcohol! that's not okay!" i shouted.

i brought my hand to my right temple as a sharp pain shot through it. that always happened when i got really angry and began to yell.

"Y/N you're not like that anymore." Cesar assured me grabbing my hand and bringing it away from my head. i looked at him with a smile. "Now, let's go introduce you to a couple of friends of mine." he changed the subject before it got too serious.

A smile began to grow on both our faces at the idea. he dragged me out of my room, out of the house, and down the street.

"Okay i can walk by myself now!" i groaned yanking my hand away as we were halfway down our street.

Cesar still had that cheesy smile on his face. he pulled out his phone and began to dial a number.

"Ruby's place. 5 minutes." he demanded to the person over the phone. then hung up making the same call 2 more times.

Ruby? Does my brother have a girlfriend i don't know about? I thought to myself.

we continued to walk in the warm california heat until we finally got to a peach colored house. 2 boys and 2 girls sitting on the front steps. they noticed us as we opened the wired fence. i followed right behind my brother, keeping my head low and trying to not be seen.

"Guys this is my sister, Y/N." Cesar introduced me stepping to the side to leave me exposed.

I looked up at them with my eyes wide and my face flushed pink. I gave them an awkward smile. Their jaws dropped at the sight of me.

"Uhh. Hi. Sorry umm.. i'm Olivia. This is Monse, Ruby, and that ones Jamal." The light skinned, brown haired girl said pointing at each of them.

Ohhhhh so my brothers still single. i thought in my head as i saw that Ruby was a male.

"You and Cesar look... very similar." The dark curly haired girl named Monse said interrupting my thoughts.

I looked at my brother and and we both began to laugh hysterically.

"Yeah maybe it's cause we're twins." Cesar finally said with a smug look on his face.

The 'aha' look quickly engulfed their faces. All except for the one dark boy named Jamal, a sly smile had formed in his face. I couldn't help but feel butterflies in my stomach for a minute.

"Are you in the Army?" the short boy named Ruby asked.

I stared at him confused then quickly realized that i was still in my school uniform which looked exactly like a soldiers uniform.

"Oh! N-No uhh i used to go to military school and uhh... i uhh... i guess someone forgot to remind me that i was still wearing it." i glared a deadly glare at Cesar.

"Well i think it looks great on you." Jamal said confidently.

The others stared in shock at the words that came out of Jamal's mouth.

"What?" Jamal asked genuinely confused. "I'm just being honest!"

"I would tell you to watch it because she's my sister but i've never seen this side of you." my look alike laughed in awe.

Everyone , including me, laughed. Olivia had pitched that we go get something to eat and we all agreed. As we walked away from Ruby's house and down the street i felt someone looking at me. Out of the corner of my eye i see Jamal smiling at me.

"What are you doing?" i giggled. Slowing down my pace to be behind the rest of the group, they didn't seem to notice.

"Just admiring you." He looked me up and down then smiled.

I looked away trying to hide the pink in my face.

"Don't hide. You look beautiful." Jamal smoothly said while reaching out and grabbing my hand.

My heart felt like it was going to explode, i couldn't breathe, my hands were sweating, and i felt like i was going to vomit (in a good way).

We continued down that block hand in hand just enjoying each others company.

————————————————————————
hey guys ik this is lowkey trash but i mean i didn't really know what to do with this story and i've had a hard couple of days buttttttt i promise i'll do better next time ! love you all ❤️