Chapter 2: Jacks

Alone ~2

Claire Johnson

I woke up the next morning with the thoughts of what happened last night. The night replayed over in my head, as it became the main focus on my mind. Everything started to become clear and I realized I wouldn't be spending the break here. I would be spending it in Florida. My Aunt Jen thought it would be great for me to go with Jack and to also hopefully enjoy myself.

The idea of going to Florida seemed very exciting to me, but at the same time I'm worried how the trip would go since I would be going with Jack and his friends. Maybe I could go to the Disney and Universal parks a few days while I am down there. I had a feeling Jack would push me away and shoo me to go somewhere.

Last night after I had finished eating my food, I quietly left the dining room unnoticed as the two had argued. What caught Jack's attention was him having to take me along with him for Magcon. He was clearly not happy at all and was trying to change his mother's mind. I do not think he had won the argument of changing her mind, because last night I was not informed of not going. Also, I heard Jack's' bedroom slam shut right after the argument died down.

For that time being, I stayed in my room in silence and put my things to a corner of the room and sat on the bed the whole time. Eventually after the silence, I retreated from my room and went downstairs to find my aunt putting away everything. I of course helped her and when she noticed I was down here, she faintly smiled. I took all of the dirty dishes and began doing them as she brought everything into the kitchen and put leftovers away. We worked together and in the matter of ten minutes, we were finished.

My aunt thanked me for helping her and she apologized for Jack's outburst. She then told me that we'd be going to AT&T tomorrow afternoon, because she wanted to get me an actual phone before I left with Jack for the week. She fussed slightly for my parents for not allowing me to have a cell phone before she realized it was a touchy subject of the mention of my parents.

That night I went to sleep in hopes that I could sleep normally, but instead the nightmare came back to haunt me again. That evening and during the morning, I had been waking up every so often trying to get the image of my nightmare playing in my head out. Now I currently lay on the soft bed thinking I have been in thought for a little over an hour. I tend to lose my mind with my thoughts for the past few months. Everything has been hard and quite traumatizing.

My stomach grumbled and I sigh knowing I'd have to get up and face everything today. Today was another day I had to face the fact that I wouldn't be facing normality. I wouldn't be waking up to my mother preparing breakfast or my father reading the newspaper. I wouldn't be babysitting or I wouldn't be going to school. I would not be in the familiar suburban town of upstate New York. Nothing would be the same.

Slowly I opened my eyes and blinked a few times before my sight adjusted to the brightness of the room. I turned my head slightly and saw the curtains were pulled back and so the sun came right in. After another minute of pondering, I sat up and looked around the room. I pulled the covers back and shivered to the cold contact of the air to my legs. My feet eventually touched the floor and I stood.

Food was definitely on my mind now.

I had this strange craving for fries and a good burger at this very moment. My stomach grumbled at the thought of it. I should probably eat what was in the house first. Maybe I could get myself some fries and a good burger later. Where exactly would I find a good burger? I'd have to wait until Aunt Jen told me. For now, I'm going to figure what was left of the leftover from last night. The food that was made was delicious.

In silence, I walked over to the bedroom door and opened it before walking out. I stood there for a moment to hear nothing. I made my way over to the stairs and immediately headed down the stairs to the kitchen. The lights were off and it felt a bit chilly in here. I walked over to a cabinet to find nothing there. I remembered my aunt had said just last night that she had to go grocery shopping. I'd assume Jack and his friends consumed a lot of food when they were here. I looked around more and realized she was right.