Chapter 7: Flight

Alone ~7

Claire Johnson

An alarm set for five in the morning went off on my phone. I shivered as I pulled the warm fluffy comforter back and immediately felt the cool air. I sighed feeling exhausted and a bit shaky since I never went down to eat dinner last night. My stomach grumbled and I brought my hand to the sound. Slowly my hand reached for my cheek and I pulled away immediately from the sudden pain. There must be a bruise. I stood from the bed and made my way over to the dresser where there was a mirror hanging. I saw my reflection and noticed the purple mark sitting there. My eyes widen to actually see it. I noticed it was slightly swollen and it was a darker purple in the center which had the most impact. The look of it scared me and I thought of last night.

I didn't know what to do. If I ever told anyone with my encounter with G, I wouldn't think they would believe me. Quickly I took out the powder that would help cover the bruising for now. For the time being, I couldn't go around looking like this. Quickly I changed into something that would be comfy for the plane ride and used the powder to cover up the bruising. Once I was ready, I put my cello on my back, my backpack hanging from my arm, guitar in one hand and the luggage with my other hand.

Making my way over to the door, I used my foot to open the door and went out into the hall knowing I didn't want to make a second trip up here. I'm sure the amount of time I had been covering up the bruise, everyone downstairs had started to eat. I wasn't sure if there would be any food left for me. Quietly, I made my way down the stairs and when I reached the bottom, I put all of my things down close to the door and walked towards the kitchen. As I approached the kitchen, I could hear chatter going on and I averted my eyes to the ground as I walked in. I hoped to avoid any eye contact from G and hoped the powder I had put on wouldn't come off. The smell of of pancakes made my stomach grumble.

"Mornin' Claire," I heard Nash greeting me and I closed my eyes slightly from the slight fear of G lashing out at me later for talking to his friends.

"Morning Nash," I spoke quietly and walked over to the counter to take the last plate before taking two pancakes, some scrambled eggs, and poured myself a glass of apple juice. My aunt kissed my head as I took a seat next to Cameron. I greeted everyone and focused on eating my breakfast as I had learned we would be leaving very shortly.

The guys were getting up not long after to begin putting their things into the vehicles. My aunt cleaned up a little before telling me she had to get ready for work and I was left alone in the kitchen. My plate was still half filled with food and I started to eat again. I listened to the boys coming in and out of the house. It wasn't a few minutes later untill someone came into the kitchen and I looked up to see Nash with a friendly smile. He was being so kind. I wish G and Jack didn't make things so hard.

"Hey Claire, I was wondering if you wanted to ride with Cameron, Carter and I?" My heart was telling me yes, but my thoughts was always returning to what they would think.

"I was sort of hoping to ride with G and my cousin," I answer apologetically. "I wanted to catch up with them for a little bit before we get to the airport."

"Oh, yeah, I understand. I'll see you at the airport then." I nod and he smiled once more before turning away and I finished up the last of my food. Once I finished everything, I stood and made my way over to the sink to wash the plate, silverware and my cup. I dried my hands with a washcloth before making my way to the front door where I did not find my things.

Stepping outside, the guys were all standing around talking and I tried to look around and Cameron saw I was confused. He waved for me to come over and I slowly walked over. I approached the three of them and looked around to see where my cousin or G were.