Chapter 12: Romeo & Juliet, But Without All The Death And Stuff

haha frank read this before u guys

April 19th, 2018.

Two weeks later, Awsten and Geoff came out as a couple.

Not to the whole school, god no, if that were the case then Awsten might freak the fuck out. Just to the club in a small, secluded environment with a group of somewhat trusted people.

Alexa had already known. Geoff told her that they were together only a couple days after what would later be described as the incident over spread break. Her first reaction was self-described as shocked but somehow un-surprised. How that made sense, Geoff didn't know. She had promised to stay quiet, though. She better have, because Geoff noticed her and Jack sitting real close lately.

"...Yeah, so, Awsten is... well, he can tell you, but... we're together. Have been for a couple weeks now." Geoff spoke after suggesting that he had a sort of announcement to make. The club's heads turned to Awsten in near sync.

"I'm bisexual." He spoke up, smiling as widely as he could manage. His face heated up a little bit as Geoff squeezed his hand. "I'm bi, and I've had kinda... a struggle with it, but I'm proud of it too."

The room was silent for a second before bursting into a commotion of laugher, encouragement and various conversation.

"I knew it," Nick laughed, pushing Awsten lightly in the chest. Awsten simply shook his head and laughed along. From the corner of his eye, he spotted Carter whispering something in Kourtney's ear before stepping out of the room. Awsten felt a tinge of sadness spread throughout his chest.

"I'll be right back, babe," He turned to Geoff and kissed his cheek before getting out of his seat. The action elicited an "oh, babe!?" from Lynn. He laughed it off before exiting the classroom.

Ducking his head out of the door like a cartoon character, he looked for Carter while gradually stepping outside completely. He was easily found, just leaning against a set of unused lockers, pondering in silence.

"Hey," Awsten greeted him calmly, waving in the corner of their vision."S'going on?"

"...'Nothing." Carter said simply, wiping a hand across their face and hiding it slightly. They brushed their hair with their hand for a second. "Why'd you come out here?"

"I came out here 'cause you're a damn liar." Awsten said to them, a crooked smile on his face. He walked over to Carter and stood beside them. "You don't have'ta lie to me. I can take it."

"Okay." They said, turning to Awsten. "I really thought you liked me."

"I did." Awsten said truthfully, shrugging. Carter gave him a questioning look. "I liked you, but... not as much as Geoff, I guess. I couldn't realistically see us together. You're more of a friend, in perspective, you know?"

"Couldn't you have at least told me? Been honest?" They asked in reply, eyes clearly more upset than they played it off to be.

"I could've and... I should've. I just didn't want this to happen. I like being your friend, Cart."

"Yeah, I know." They admitted, a soft but insincere smile forming. It looked more like a line than anything. "Does he make you happy?"

"Very." Awsten smiled, nodding slightly. He leaned back against the walls heavily. "He... makes me feel like it's raining outside."

"You hate the rain." Carter stated.

"Yeah," Awsten laughed, "But I like the smell afterwards. And the puddles. Also, I couldn't resist the urge to make a blink-182 reference."