Chapter 3 - Bruised

I walked into school the next day, a bruise slowly forming across my cheek. It was big and ugly. My father lashed out at me when we sat at the dinner table yesterday, he called me all these cruel names, knowing they'd affect me. When I called him an asshole, he punched me square in the face. Sadly, I bruise easily.

People stared, their eyes judging me. I kept mine on the ground, avoiding contact with the human race. They always did this, I hated it! Couldn't they just mind their own business?!

When something happens, like this, I usually become...upset and mad. I hardly talk, if I do it's because I'm spoken to. And if people ask what caused the mark, bruise, or scar..I make up some lame excuse about how I tripped. The only one who doesn't believe me is Willow, ever since he knew what my father did to me, he's started coming to my house all of the time. Except for yesterday, of course. I always felt safe with him around.

I opened my locker, sliding my backpack into the cramped space before grabbing my books that I needed. I felt a pair of eyes studying me, and I knew it was him. He was watching me! Probably thought I was some idiot, now. Or maybe the whole nice act he did yesterday wasn't real. Why am I such a weak person?! I hated that about myself.

"What happened?" I nearly dropped my books at the sound of William's voice. I slowly looked over, biting my lip harshly. His eyes met mine, noticing the nervousness I was feeling right now. I couldn't tell him the truth, because I hardly even actually knew the guy. So the only option I had was to lie.

"I tripped over my feet yesterday, face first. I'll be fine, though." I told him in a soft voice, closing the door gently. The way he looked at me showed that he wasn't buying it. But he let it go, giving me his usual crooked smile.

"Be careful next time." Just like that, he walked away. I sighed, looking down at my feet. I feel horrible for lying. But then I didn't. For all I know, he could be acting friendly. Maybe he just wanted to get to know every single detail about me, then leave and tell everyone. I couldn't handle that! I'd be the fucking pathetic Freshman of the year!

I closed my eyes for a second, before making my way to English. Here's to a long day.

~*~*~*~

In History, my last class, I fell asleep a couple of times from exhaustion. The teacher had to keep tapping my shoulder so I'd stay awake. It obviously didn't work very well.

I watched the video he was showing us, getting bored very easily. The bell rang (thank God), making me jump up quickly and hurry out of the room.

When I was at my locker, William walked up to me (sadly, Willow wasn't in school today). I grabbed my backpack, slinging the straps over my shoulders and turned to look at him. He gave me a gentle smile.

"Can you come over today? Are you allowed?" He bit his lip, which made my stomach twist in knots. I nodded slowly, smiling back.

"Yeah, I can come over." He let out a sigh of relief, heading out of the door with me following behind him. When we reached his car, William opened the door for me, a soft giggle erupting from behind my lips. I slid into the passenger side, sitting cross-legged.

On our way to his house, the ride was quiet and awkward. I hated the silence, but I wasn't so fond of the loud either. In between both of those was okay. I decided to break the uncomfortable quiet that surrounded us.

"So, you're a senior?" I asked, feeling stupid for doing so. He let out a chuckle, nodding. "How's it feel to be graduating? I wish I was! I hate being so young and weak!" I blurted without being able to stop myself. William looked over at me, running fingers through his hair.

"It's not that great. I'm actually going to miss going to school. The only thing I'm actually glad for is to be leaving all of the drama," he laughed, placing a hand on my thigh, "I just hate being dragged into it, you know?" He asked as I stared at the place where he set his hand. I was kind of shocked, but I forced a nod.

He pulled into his driveway, getting out after he killed the engine, to open my door for me. A smile spread across his lips when I stood up and looked up at him. I suddenly felt nervous. I was at his house!

"Are your parents home?" I asked, stupidly. He just snorted, wrapping an arm around my waist as we headed for the stairs.

"I'd be lucky if they were. But no, they're never home." I felt bad. I wish my parents were never home. To my agony, of course, they always were. My mom worked at home, she wrote books. My dad worked with fire. He was a blacksmith. We weren't that rich, but my mother helped us out, a lot.

"I'm sorry. Do they have big business kind of jobs?" He laughed at that, but nodded. We sat in his living room, talking about everything we could think about. I totally forgot about the project, though, I didn't care that much. I liked getting to know him a little better.

I looked at the clock, swearing under my breath. It was almost eight. I was so fucking dead, I could see it now, my father beating me for not being home. My mother to busy in her study to notice.

Standing to my feet, he did the same. "What's wrong?" William asked, I bit my lip. I didn't know what to say exactly. I mean, yeah I had a curfew, I was only 15. I didn't feel like sounding stupid. Oh, I'll get beaten to a pulp if I don't get home. You don't just tell anyone that, right?

"I have to get home, it's getting late." He nodded, hurrying me out of the door and right to his car. The drive to my house was also silent. But I didn't speak whatsoever, I was too busy thinking of what was going to happen once I walked inside.

He parked outside of my house, giving me an awkward one-armed hug, before saying goodbye and speeding down the street. I walked up the stairs, opening the door slowly. As soon as I walked into the warm un-welcoming home, I was met with a fist to the jaw. Same spot, too. I yelped in pain, falling to the ground. Here comes the tears. I thought to myself as they slid down my cheeks.

"You dirty faggot." I heard my father say as he left me sobbing on the floor.