Chapter 5: Learning

How long have I slept? I feel light in the head and my back feel equally sore. What happened to me? I close my eyes and try to recall what happened last night. Owh yes...that. Donatella gave me a nice piece of her whip. But I can't remember returning to this, the masters room. And who was that stranger that talked in my dreams last night, was he real? He sounded so sweet and seemed to see things from a totally different view.

"Slept well?"

I turn to see father leaning against the doorpost.

"What's the time?"

I need to know the hour. Don't I have practize or performance?

"It's 1u30 at night, but that doesn't matter. Did you sleep well?....How are you feeling?"

"I...I'm" Gosh I actually have no clue how I'm feeling, "my back is feeling kinda sore"

"Turn around and lay flat on your stumach, so I can rub you in"

Why does he sound so far off and cold? He sounds different from other times. He rubs something cold on my back and it immediatly feels less painful.

"Are you alright?", I pull my dress down and turn around when I notice how red his eyes are.

He shrugs, yet I can see that something isn't right. Maybe if I repeat my question I'll get some response.

"I'm fine"

Our eyes lock on eachother and I notice how deep green they are, just like mine. His eyes are deep pools filled with sadness. Before I realize it I swing my arms around his neck.

Dear Charlotta! You're such stupid cow! You're always sending out the wrong messages!

Doubting he slides his arms around my waist and pulls me tighter.

"I'm sorry", he mutters his face hidden in my hair, "For everything bad in your life"

I inhale his scent, hoping to find that calming scent that reminded me of my father, yet I only find the foul stench of beer. Oh Dio, Charlotta this could turn out pretty bad for you.

"No need for apologies", I mumble, "It's alright"

He pushes me away roughly, yet still quite gently.

"No! Nothing's alright Charlotta! Shouldn't have brought you here"

Geez, he's quite emotional, probably because of the booze.

"I'm glad you brought me here, I would still be  in the orphanage"

He encups my face with his large hands  and pulls my forehead against his.

"Atleast you would have been safe there"

 "No! no...I wouldn't. Don't you know what happens there?"

Ha shakes his head places his head on top of mine.

"The girls suddenly disappeare. The are found back later behind glass windows....or dead"

"I .....I didn't know that"

His breath flutters against my face and I feel shivers running down my spine.

"You should lay down", I whisper.

His hands take a vice like grip on my shoulders.

"Stay!"

His voice is demanding yet soft.

"Father...please..."

"Don't call me that. Please call me Maxime. Don't call me father ever again"