Taking It Back

This  is an interesting chapter. Vote. Comment. 

She was shivering, even in her thick coat and knit cap. The heat blowing in through the vent in the truck had never worked that well and now with the temperature it was outside, it wasn't doing anything.

Angelo blew on his numb fingers as he watched her out of the corner of his eye. It had been two months since he found out. His eyes lowered from her face to the slight bulge around her middle sticking out from underneath one of his old shirts. Mila was pregnant.

His dad made a turn, causing Mila to fall into him. She quickly righted herself without sparing him a glance.

His dad was taking Mila to see a doctor because she was bleeding a little and was cramping. The man seemed really invested in the child, while Mila seemed to want nothing more than to cut it out of her.

Beyond that day a few months ago, Mila hadn't brought up escape to him. She hadn't spoken to him at all since she called him worse than his father. Her words had cut deep and he was constantly plagued by her face when she told him that, when she realized he was like his father.

Angelo's insides ached in the way it did when he thought about it. He tried to make up his lack of being able to betray his father by drawing things for her and taking her outside. He even got his father to let him take her to the lake with him. He distracted his father when the man became overly affectionate to her in the way which usually led to his dad taking her into his bedroom. It wasn't enough. He realized a little while ago that he couldn't keep his father's love and make Mila happy again. He was at a loss.

Mila hated him but his dad claimed to love him. He had always wanted his father's love.

"Now, remember the story," his father said as he swerved into a parking spot in the doctor's office in town. He turned to them both and gave them looks of warning, full of the promise of pain if they even thought about trying something. "Your name is what again, Mila?"

Mila stared out of the window in front of her. "Annie," she whispered.

"Good. And who is she to you, Angelo?"

Angelo glanced at Mila. "My girl friend."

"Good," the man removed the keys from the ignition. "Let's go," the man stepped out of the truck.

Angelo did the same and Mila slid out after him. She hugged her to big, gray coat to her, as if to hide the evidence of her situation. They both followed his father into the clinic. Right as they were about to enter the building his dad grabbed Mila and pulled her to him and whispered barely loud enough for him to hear.

"You don't want to go home, do you, Mila?" He asked. "Back to that place where they will look at that stomach of yours and know everything I've ever done to you. All of my secretes, your secretes will be on full display. What will everyone call you, Mila? Slut? Whore? Damaged? No good to anyone else, just me. You remember that, Mila. Now, I'll ask again. Do you want to go in there and cause trouble for me?" With tears in her eyes, Mila blinked rapidly and shook her head. "Good," the man let her go.

(SB)

"You really should take better care of yourself." Dr. Bills said. "You need to gain weight and take those prenatal vitamins." He looked towards Angelo. "You make sure she does that now, young man." Angelo nodded awkwardly and watched as a blank faced Mila pulled her shirt back down. "The baby is fine. Would you like to know the sex?"

"No," Mila answered quickly as she sat up. She seemed horrified at the thought of learning the sex of the unborn child. "No," she said again, slower this time. "Are we done?"