All Of You

It's been awhile for this story but here's a update. The next one shouldn't be too long. I've had a lot of people asking about this one, so here it is.

"You two got anything for the youngin yet?"

Angelo tossed the last trash bag into the dumpster behind the Pink Tomato before he turned to face Artie. The old man was lighting a cigarette or attempting too with a lime green lighter that didn't seem to be working. The older man cursed to himself and shot the lighter a scathing look.

"Uh..." Angelo said, the man's sudden appearance catching him off guard. Artie never set foot out of the office, let alone out in the back of the building that he complained smelled like despair and day old coochie, whatever that meant. "No," he finally answered with a small frown. "I-I we haven't."

"Well," he finally seemed to get the lighter to work as he lite his cigarette, "ya think it's time you get started on that? Its about time now ain't it, any day now?"

Angelo wasn't sure, but Conny always said it was. He wasn't sure how she could tell, but he decided he would take her word for it. Mila never commented when the woman mentioned it, just sort of smiled and twisted her fingers around one another. Mila never really acknowledge the baby in her tummy. He wasn't sure what to think about that.

"Yes?"

"Why are you asking me for, you're the papa!" The man laughed and shook his head. He leaned against the back of building. "You're a good kid, Angelo, I can tell by just how you're willing to take responsibility. Kids these days just aren't as well raised." Angelo frowned at that. "But I can also tell you're a little...naive."

Angelo rubbed the back of his neck, searching for the right thing to say. He was always searching for the right thing to say. "I...was really sheltered...I guess that's why I come off that way."

The old man nodded like an old sage and blew a long stream of smoke out of the corner of his mouth. "I figured as much. Now, you can't be that way in this world...naive that is, especially not with a little one and a woman to protect. This world will crush you up and leave nothing behind. So, I'm willing to take you under my wing and show you how to beat this old world back with a stick."

Angelo wasn't exactly sure what Artie was saying, but he knew he was offering him something. "Thank you..." He tried hard not to make his words sound like a question because honestly, he was confused.

Artie smiled, showing off a couple of missing teeth. "Anyway, like I was getting at before, you need to start getting stuff for the baby. I have a buddy who had a kid a few years back, old fucker was too old then and still is, but anyway, kid is three or something now and they don't need the baby stuff. Now, I didn't go around telling your business or anything, but he's willing to donate the stuff and maybe even pay you a little if you paint his shed this weekend. They got a car seat, one of them buggies, and some clothes though we don't know if its a boy or girl yet. What do you think?"

Babies did need things and they had nothing. Angelo nodded slowly, "I-I can do that. Thank you, Mr. Artie."

"No problem, kid. Now, don't tell Mrs. Conny I was back here smoking, alright? She'll whip both of our behinds." The man said as he put the butt out on the side of the building before shoving it into his pocket.

Angelo didn't want to make Mrs. Conny mad so he agreed right away. She was a frightening old woman.

(WS)

Mila slid the bowl of cut up tomatoes over to Mrs. Conny. It had taken her awhile to cut the tomatoes up with how badly her hands were shaking, but she had gotten them done for the older woman's soup she was helping her make. The other woman had clearly noticed her difficulty but hadn't said a word, instead just continued to instruct her on how make her world famous soup. Mrs. Conny claimed the soup could cure anything.