Chapter 16

As usual, I was eager to get home. But today, I wasn't anxious to get home, which was a nice change of pace.

I was looking forward to seeing my girls, as always, but today, I wasn't worried for them. Or concerned that I'd find that the light had gone out of Madelyn's eyes. Because that light had been there since last week. Since that day she'd spent with Glenne. And I'd hoped at the time it would be just what she needed, but I'd had my doubts, too. I was afraid things really were as serious as Mum had been suggesting. Afraid that we'd have to welcome more change into our lives even though we'd both agreed to this particular plan before Lila was born. 

I would do the movie, and she would stay home with the baby. Plain and simple.

But any other changes had been deemed unnecessary, just as I'd hoped. We'd even had sex a couple times since that day she went out with Glenne—a couple nights after Lila went to sleep, and then the other morning, on the couch in the front room while Lila was napping. And that spontaneity, that physical connection we'd been sorely lacking was doing wonders for my frame of mind, and hers.

So, I wasn't filled with worry or unease as I headed home, wondering what mood I'd find my girl in when I arrived. 

No. Today... I was excited.

I pressed the buttons for the gate and drummed my fingers on the steering wheel as I waited for it to open, then slowly headed down the drive, pressing the button to close the gate behind me.

Mads' car was in its usual spot, and I pulled up right next to it, ignoring my sore muscles from the day's work as I opened the car door and swung my legs out.

It was a beautiful day. Sunny and mild—the exact kind of weather you'd expect from Los Angeles in the spring. And the sun was just starting to set, leaving the sky in a haze of pink, purple, and orange.

I practically jogged up to the front door, my heart light in anticipation, my arms ready to hold my wife, my daughter, and—

"There he is now," came Mads' voice as I shut the front door behind me.

And straight down the hallway where it opened up into kitchen, a head of dark brown hair came into view, along with a smaller, balder head beside it.

"Hey sweet," Mum said, a smile on her face.

She'd arrived yesterday morning. I'd had to go into work, and Mads wasn't comfortable going out to the airport with Lila all by herself, so I'd called a car to pick her up at the airport. I hadn't seen her for long last night—she'd headed up to bed early—but there was nothing like returning home from a long day of work to find her here, no longer completely exhausted, especially when I hadn't seen her in so long.

In her arms, Lila was chewing on her own fingers, and her eyes swiveled to me when I said, "There're my girls."

I strode over to them, welcomed Mum's one-armed hug with a peck on the cheek, and crouched so that I could look into my daughter's eyes.

"Hi sweetheart. Hello," I murmured, giving her kiss after kiss on her soft, little head. "Did you have a good first day with Grandma?"

Mum scoffed a little. "I still don't know if I like the sound of that."

I glanced up at her with a smirk. "Well, you'll have to take that up with our little girl, here."

Mum gave me an unamused smile then lifted Lila towards me. "Here, you take her. I'll help Maddie finish up dinner."

I took Lila and glanced over Mum's shoulder to see Mads at the stove, stirring something in a steaming pot.

"How is she?" I murmured, low enough so that Mads wouldn't hear.