Chapter 41

Her hand was warm, even through my sweater. And it didn't have to be against my skin for me to know that it was also inexplicably sticky.

"Hang on a second," I murmured, hoping baby girl wouldn't disappoint. My six-year-old niece Grace had been haunting me about feeling the baby move ever since she and her family had gotten here earlier today, and so far, baby girl hadn't granted her wish.

It had been a few months since Harry and I had left New York, so the last time Grace had seen me, my stomach was much smaller. And since she'd never encountered a pregnancy up close before, my very large belly had become something of a wonder for her.

It was still very much a wonder to me.

Even if it did cause me a ridiculous amount of aches and pains.

"Try talking to her, Gracie. Sometimes, she answers back with a little shove."

"She can hear me?" Grace asked, her sparkly headband sliding down towards her forehead and doing practically nothing to keep her blonde hair out of her eyes. She and her big sister, Lilly, were all dressed up for Christmas Eve. Grace was in a black and silver sparkly dress, while Lilly had gone for a more subdued green velvet number.

I brushed her headband back as her focus returned to my stomach, both hands now pressing a little more firmly into it. "Of course she can. Uncle Harry sings to her all the time."

Grace's blue-eyed gaze went a bit wider as she stared, as her hands rubbed over my sweater none-too-gently, pressing a little harder with each pass.

"Easy, Gracie," I said with a laugh. "You don't want to squeeze her."

"Sorry," she whispered then. Lilly plopped down on the couch beside me as Grace continued running her hands over my belly. "Hi, baby. I'm gonna take care of you when you're born, and play with you, and make sure you get enough chocolate."

"She can't have chocolate, Grace. She's an infant." Lilly let her head fall to my shoulder, her hand coming to the side of my belly as well. I let my head lean against hers and tried not to laugh at Grace's indignant expression.

"Well, when she's older then," Grace snapped at her older sister. "I'll give you all the chocolate you want when you're old enough," she said directly to my belly with what could only be described as a glare for her sister. "And I can't wait to hold you and hug you and kiss you once you're out of Aunt Maddie's tummy. If you can hear me, kick!"

Baby girl responded just like I'd hoped she would, and Grace's eyes lit up as she gasped, and looked up at me. "She kicked me!"

"She heard you," I said back, feeling the baby move even more. Lilly's hand pressed more firmly to my stomach, too, as she sat up.

"Hi, baby," Grace said to my stomach then, with much more affection in her voice. Almost cooing. "I'm your big cousin, Gracie."

"Wow," Lilly breathed, smiling at me, her blue eyes bright behind her purple-framed glasses. "She's strong."

"You're telling me," I said, running a thumb against Lilly's cheek, remembering when she was an infant, when Jenny's belly was as big as mine while she was pregnant with her.

"Does it hurt?" Grace asked then, feeling the way baby girl was still going to town in there.

"No, it doesn't hurt. Although it's a little uncomfortable now that she's so big." I let my hand rest on top, feeling my daughter's movements from within and under my palm.

"It's weird," Lilly said then, and before I could answer, Jenny came rushing over.

"Is she moving?"