Chapter 8

Luke's POV

I'm being dragged along to a Little League game today, and as much as I don't want to go, I have to. After what happened the other night, my dad doesn't trust me to be home alone. He doesn't want me to hurt myself or anyone else. So basically I have no choice in anything from now on. Not that I'd choose much anyways.

“You can come into the dugout or sit in the bleachers, whatever you'd like,” my dad tells me as we walk to the field. I'd like to go home, that's what I'd like.

I can see the annoying 12 year olds already. They're running around the field, probably telling mom jokes to each other or picking boogers. I don't really remember what I did as a 12 year old, mostly because it was my awkward phase. I don't like to look back on my long hair that flowed in the wind, thank you very much.

I walk towards the bleachers since I don't want to sit with a bunch of the booger pickers in the dugout. I sit close to the top, away from the few people that are watching the game. I watch the boys practice, and one of them falls flat on his face while running to give his friend a high five. That pretty much sums up my childhood baseball career, I did it all the time.

I honestly don't know why I played baseball when I was younger. Baseball isn't even an actual, big sport in Australia. There were a few leagues for younger kids, and there was even less once I got older. Sometimes I wonder if that's why my dad wanted to move here, so he could be more involved with baseball.

“Hey, Luke!” I hear someone say.

Please, no.

I see Ashton walking up the bleachers, followed by Delilah.

“Mind if we sit here?” Ashton asks, already sitting down next to me.

Yes, I do mind.

“See number 7? That's my brother!” Ashton tells me excitedly. “Today's their last game of the season! I hope they win!”

Ashton continues to talk, but I don't really listen. I stare at the spilled popcorn on the bleachers and zone out. I wish I was anywhere but here.

I look up from the dugout to see Delia waving through the fence. I go over to her and smile.

Last game of the season,” she says, smiling widely. “You better win.”

I'm so nervous,” I tell her.

Why? You're, like, the best player!”

I feel my cheeks blush. “I'm just not feeling too good about tonight. Have you seen the other team?”

Yeah, you can beat them though. Don't be so nervous. I can be your good luck charm. If you get nervous, I'll be here to cheer you on. Even if you lose, I'll still cheer you on.”

I laugh. “Just please don't yell my name when I go up to bat. I lose focus.”

I can't make any promises.”

I roll my eyes. “You're lucky you're cute.”

She sticks out her tongue and smiles widely. “That's one of the reasons I was put on this Earth. On the seventh day God said, “There shall be a Delia to distribute her winsome looks and delightful smile throughout the world.”

Why can't it just be for Luke Hemmings?” I whine, sticking out my bottom lip.

You, Lucifer, are my universe. But you can't purloin me from the world, they need someone as fantastic as me too.”