Chapter 26

make sure you 've read the previous update bc wattpad was over capacitated and wouldn't let some people on last night/ this morning

Luke's POV

For the past three days, I've barely done anything but sleep. When I'm awake, I'm just overcome with sadness and confusion. By sleeping, I don't feel anything.

I keep thinking about the past few days and everything that's happened. I feel like everything is slowly getting more confusing for me as time goes on. I'm so conflicted by everything. I don't know what to think about anything anymore.

Everything is a mess.

I check my phone for the time, and I look at the phone icon, which shows one new voicemail. Except, it's not new. It's been there for eight months.

I've never listened to it.

The last time I saw Candace, she told me I should listen to it. She said it might make me feel better. But I haven't been able to press play. I'm scared of what it is.

I think I'm scared of moving on too. I feel like if I listen to it, it will feel like I'm losing the last piece of Delia that I have.

I don't want to lose her.

The voicemail is from the night of the incident. That's why I haven't listened to it.

Delia didn't actually die instantly. I just tell people that so I don't have to think about the fact that she was alive for awhile after the accident.

So I don't have to feel so guilty.

She called me before surgery.

The time on the voicemail says 11:33 pm. She died at 5:04 am.

Her contact name still has emojis after it. Her contact picture is still the same.

It's possibly the only thing in my life that hasn't changed.

One simple voicemail can hold a lot of meaning.

I try not to think about the day of the accident too much, but now that I am, the whole day comes flooding back into my mind. I remember it vividly. I remember every detail. Sometimes I think that if I don't remember it, maybe it's not true. Maybe it didn't actually happen. But I know that's impossible, and I can't reverse time.

It's the one thing I wish I could forget the most, but I can't.

"You need to move on," Calum tells me.

"I don't want to," I mumble.

"Clearly she's moved on. She doesn't seemed phased by the break up at all."

"That makes me feel so much better," I groan.

"Well, it's been two weeks..."

"It's been two weeks of an almost year long relationship!"

My phone vibrates, and it's a text from Delia.

I'm on my way to your house. I need to talk to you.

"She's on her way over!" I tell Calum, jumping off the couch. "Do I look okay? I haven't showered!"

"You need to chill. It's Delia, if she liked you last year, she'll like you now."

"What do you think she wants to tell me? You don't think she wants to get back together, do you?"

Calum shrugs. "I dunno. Maybe she just wants to tell you that you need to stop obsessing over her."