Chapter 21

Delilah's POV

"Delilah, can you go check on the turkey?" my mom asks for the hundredth time. I roll my eyes and quickly look in the oven. The turkey looks the same as it did last time.

I head into the living room and sit on the couch next to my brother Noah. He's home from college for the next few days.

"Look at Elmo!" my younger sister Lucy screams as she points to the balloon on TV. She's been watching the Thanksgiving Day Parade for awhile, screaming everytime a character she likes comes on.

"Yeah, cool," I mumble, seeing a car pull into the driveway. "Mom, the Hemmings are here!"

I've been dreading seeing Luke again. I know it's going to be weird to have to sit through a whole meal with him when I haven't talked to him in a month.

"Can you get the door?" my mom asks.

"No!" I yell, not wanting to be the person to greet them.

"So I finally get to meet your boyfriend?" Noah asks.

"He's not my boyfriend," I mutter, rolling my eyes.

"Not from what mom's told me."

"She doesn't even know anything."

Noah talks in a girly voice and says, "Delilah met this new boy Luke. Delilah's been hanging out with Luke. Delilah did her English project on Luke, oh my goodness, it's just so adorable!"

"Shut up!" I say, nudging into his shoulder.

Just then, the doorbell rings. I instantly become more nervous at the thought of seeing Luke again. I don't know how I'm going to eat dinner with him. He's ignored me for a month, he'll just ignore me today. I'm surprised he's even coming.

Noah doesn't get up to get the door, and neither do I. I refuse.

"You go," Noah says.

"No."

"Yes."

"No."

"Lucy, go answer the door," Noah says.

"Noah, she's three! She can't even reach the door knob," I tell him. I reluctantly get off the couch and head towards the door. My hand stays on the knob for a few seconds before finally opening the door.

"Hi, Delilah!" Mr. Hemmings says, handing me a pie.

"Happy Thanksgiving! Come on in!" I say with as much happiness as I can. I don't want Luke to know how nervous I am.

I look over to Luke who is behind his dad. He's looking at the ground, and his feet are turned in as he shifts his weight from side to side. He quickly looks up at me before looking back down, his cheeks turning slightly red.

"Hi, Luke," I say quietly as he walks past me and up the stairs, following his dad.

He doesn't even look up at me, but I swear I saw him flinch a little.

"Who are you?" I hear Lucy ask when Luke gets into the living room.

"That's Luke," I tell her. She's has to tilt her head far back in order to look up at Luke. Luke waves a little to her, and she waves back.

"I'm Lucy, I'm three, and I like to play Barbies. Do you like Barbies?" she asks Luke.

He shakes his head and smiles a little.

"Luke, that's my brother, Noah," I say quietly. I figure I should introduce them since Luke obviously isn't going to introduce himself.

Luke doesn't even look at me when I talk. I feel like I'm invisible to him.