chapter seven ⦙ can you stay out of my way?

W A R N I N G :
MER HAS THE SAME BIRTHDAY AS KENZIE HERE!
SORRY IF THE HOCKEY TERMS I USE ARE INCORRECT, I DON'T WATCH OR PLAY HOCKEY!

june 4, 2016

my eyes flutter open and i slowly rise from my bed and sit up, starting to stretch. i suddenly then notice.

i'm fifteen.

i never really got excited about birthdays. my dad always made them the best, but that's when i was a kid, and i have many different preferences now. back to my topic— birthday's aren't exciting. it just shows that you're closer to dying. i don't get why everyone makes a big fuss about it. they're basically celebrating about death.

"happy birthday sissy." said maddie who randomly came into my room.

"thank you." i replied as a smile formed right on her face. i fake smile, but she notices. i should really fix my fake smiles!

"why are you sad?" she asked. why am i sad? why can't i get over him? he's just a stupid boy.

"nothing," i attempted to lie, but yet she still figures it out.

"tell me, mackenzie."

"no. it's nothing. purely nothing, madison." i lie yet again, but she smirks and knows i am.

"so we're using full names? okay then, mackenzie frances ziegler, is this about johnny vincent orlando?" she guessed it right. i take a nervous gulp and she giggles.

"when will you ever admit you like him?" she asked. i don't think i do. i never did.

"i never liked him, madison nicole ziegler, and i never will." i try to say with confidence, but it just ends up with me being sheepish.

"okay, sure, you never liked johnny vincent orlando. i mean like i know you do, but fine. you don't have to admit it cause i already know. but i'll have you know mom is waiting downstairs and is excited to see you. she wants you to get dressed. oh— and don't forget, it's johnny's mom's birthday today too." maddie said, stepping out of my room. that's a lot of information.

i grab a cute pastel yellow tee that says honey, i stole it from maddie's wardrobe during a prank war, and some shorts. after i took a shower and got changed, i combed my hair and grabbed my usual vans.

as i almost go out of my room and head downstairs, i couldn't help but look at that old picture of johnny and i on my bed side table. why do i still have this?

i went downstairs and saw my mom on the couch, blankets covering her up and a trash bin near her with tons of tissue. she must be feeling sick.

"hey mom." i said, waving.

"hey dear. happy birthday. maddie and i prepared a cake last night that you could eat later. but please deliver this to meredith, i can't since as you can see i'm a little sick." her voice spoke softly as you can hear she's sick in her voice. she handed me a little box nicely wrapped with a little ribbon on top.

"thank you. and sure, i'll deliver it to her." i said taking the present. i walked outside and brought my bike just in case i had to go somewhere.

i arrived at the orlando's doorstep and ring the doorbell. after a few moments, there was still no answer. maybe no one's awake. probably only meredith is.

i hop on my bike and put the present in its small basket. where would mer be?

starbucks? no, mer doesn't like starbucks that much.