chapter ten ⦙ splash!

march 31, 2019

6:30 pm.

i zip up my barrel bag and groan in unsatisfactory. my mom was invited to go out of town with some of her many friends, so she had to leave for awhile. maddie ditched me here to stay with her boyfriend, jack. we hired a lady to come watch maliboo and the house. i didn't want to be stuck with her forever, so my mom decided i stay with the orlando's for a couple days 'til she comes back.

of course it had to be with them.

not that i had a problem, i love lauren, she's my best friend. just past history with johnny as everyone knows, except my oblivious mother, and johnny and lauren's parents.

i ran downstairs with my bag slung around my shoulder. i said my last little goodbyes to maliboo and the lady named victoria.

i walked outside of my home, walking a little and there i was. i arrived at their doorstep and rang the doorbell, just to see the person i was trying to avoid.

"hey kenz." spoke johnny, still using that nickname he called me years and years ago.

"hi john." i said, smiling awkwardly.

"c-come in," he stuttered, opening the door wider in order for me to have more space.

"where's lauren?" i asked, my bag still in hand.

"she's coming home a late, she's probably going to be here by tomorrow morning." he replied, not even sounding slightly incompetent to sound normal. he seemed regular, as if we didn't know eachother. it was like that night in december.

"oh, okay." i simply said even though i wanted to ask badly why.

"so it's just you and me..?" i asked with probably the most sheepish expression written all over my face.

"yeah. my parents wanted to let us have fun and let us be, i guess," he said normally yet again, hands shoved in his shorts.

"oh, cool." i responded, my bag still slung around my shoulder.

"um— i should help you with that." he said, taking my bag from me as he slung it around his shoulder.

"thanks." i acknowledged, giving my signature cumbersome smile.

after a few odd moments just standing there, he suggested— "do you wanna do anything?"

"i'm alright. i'll just head to lauren's room if that's okay," i spoke.

"yup, okay. perfectly fine." he said, smiling adorably. "i'll bring this up—"

"y- you know i can handle it myself, thanks though," i answered, taking the bag myself.

i went upstairs to lauren's room. i dropped my bag near her closet and dropped myself right on her bed.

this is gonna be a boring night.

i grabbed my headphones from my bag and my phone. i started to listen to a variety of songs like not a love song by bülow, hair too long by the vamps, and 3:15 by bazzi, while scrolling through my feed on instagram.

the clock read 8:30, and someone had been knocking on the door. i stood up from lauren's bed, and answered.

it was johnny.

"hey.." he said, his arm resting on the door.

"hi." i replied.

"um, the jacuzzi is ready, downstairs— y-you already know that," he said clumsily, face palming afterwards yet still looking like a snack!