Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Rudy slammed the door behind him with his foot before the small, white fur ball darted out to freedom and scooped it up in one hand before it caused itself brain damage from its high speed on its tiny legs.

The thing wriggled in his hands, as if feigning escape but not so much that he actually got free. Rudy smirked at it, taking his fingers and scratching softly at his fur only to be pawed fondly by the furry animal.

"Rudy is that you?" a voice called from the kitchen. The smell of something good was hanging in the air and he followed it while answering:

"No I'm just a daylight burglar coming to steal... oh wait, it seems this piece of shit apartment has nothing worth of stealing."

"Oi, you live here too, you shit!" Rosie scolded at him as he appeared in the small kitchen where she had her back turned and was hovering over a pot with the apron he had bought her for her birthday last year with a pair of boobs on the front that made her look ridiculous. "So what's got you in a bad mood - well, a worse mood than your usual, grumpy self?"

"Nothing..." he muttered as the furball started to nip at his fingers playfully, he snorted at the thing. He looked up to see his sister turned, her spatula raised menacingly, dripping with pasta sauce with an eye brow raised. He shrugged, trying to look at if the spatula didn't faze him at all and he was answering her on his own terms. "There's just this new guy that keeps screwing up and I'm the one that needs to clean up after him just because he's got connections with my boss."

Satisfied with his answer she returned to stirring the pot. "Well that's not fair, you should speak to your boss about it. Actually you should just speak to him in general about how he's been treating you. Seriously, Rudes."

He gave a noise that was close to agreement and confirmation that yes he was going to go down and speak to Archer about his unfair treatment compared to the other staff, but he knew, and all his other past jobs told him that it wouldn't end well and he'd walk out there without a job at all. Rudy had something of a temper at times.

He walked over to the small table with two chairs and pulled out one with his foot and sank into it, jostling the little white ball of fur so he was petting its back and it could snuggle into his chest.

"So unfair, "Rosie complained as she looked at them. "He still won't let me pet him and he's my dog. I'm the one that feeds him! Why the hell does he hang all over your depressing ass?"

Rudy didn't say anything but looked down at the wriggling creature in his arms how was snuggling into the crook of his arm and then popping out and looking up at him expectantly until Rudy caved and petted it, running his fingers through his soft fur. When he lifted his head Rosie was still looking at him, glaring at him heatedly. He smirked at her and she flicked her spoon at him to pasta sauce flicked a line over him and the dog who yipped as he was splattered and scampered out of his arms.

Rudy sighed, "I hope your happy now, I'll need to give him another bath and build up his self esteem yet again."

"Oh my god," she moaned. "He's going to hate me forever."

He couldn't deny her of that thought.

Rudy watched his sister in amusement, wiping off some of the sauce from his face and tasting it."Needs a pinch of salt."

Rosie made an exasperated sound and flicked him again but went for the cupboard where the salt was anyway.

Rosie had adopted the little white furball she liked to call Legolas two years ago when they moved into the apartment. Rosie's friend's dog had puppies or something like that, and Rosie had took one without even thinking about it much to Rudy's disappointment. Rudy didn't see how having another mouth to feed was helping anyone and resented the thing for a while, whereas Rosie tried for months trying to bond with the thing that kept running away from her, obviously not reciprocate her feelings. The thing was still a nervous wreck; pissed itself whenever a car honked its horn outside and hid behind the sofa and stayed there whenever there was someone in the house other than just Rosie and Rudy, which wasn't often anyway.