Turning point

>>Eli

What?

....

Upon hearing his words my mind went blank for a moment. He killed someone, again?

Again??

Something clicked in my mind but I didn't have the time to focus on that. I had to calm him down first.

The light from the house was illuminating our side profiles and it allowed me to see how terrified he was.

I pulled him into my embrace and hugged him tight, "It doesn't matter." I slowly released my pheromones to calm him down, "We'll find some solution." I felt him ease into my embrace and then I looked at the cabin in the clearing of the woods.

Mael had his face buried in my chest and after calming down a little, he looked back at me.

"Eli..." He pointed at the house as I looked down at him, "In there." He still wasn't stable enough to talk properly but he said enough to get me going, "Mom's..."

I nodded at him and slipped my arms away as I began walking towards the house. He quietly followed behind me.

The lights in the lounge were on but the kitchen and the messed up interior in it caught my attention immediately. One could immediately tell that a fight happened there. I jogged inside and found two women, unconscious on the floor. Rachel and Mael's real mother.

Oh shit...

There was blood on the floor and it was mostly coming from Rachel. I went to examine her human body and noticed the stab wound. Her body was still warm but her lifeline was at the end.

"She's barely alive." I pressed my hands on the wound. If I wait for help to arrive it will be too late. The only reason she hasn't died yet is that she's an Alpha werewolf. We're stronger and sturdier than humans and that's the only reason she's hanging on.

"She's alive...?" Mael's feeble voice reached my ears and I turned my head to look at him. His body was still trembling. There was fear swirling in his eyes.

...

I made my decision. I can't let Rachel die here. For Mael. I have to keep her alive.

"She is," I replied, "But barely." He looked back at me with hopeless eyes, "I'll handle this." I assured him, then looked at his mom, "Your mom's injuries aren't life-threatening." She only had some claw marks that were only able to cut her skin, so she could even be treated at home if done properly.

"Stay with your mom." I looked at Mael, "I'll come back for you."

"Huh?" He looked at me in confusion but I couldn't afford to lose more time. So I shifted back into my wolf and picked Rachel up to take her out of the forest.

***

The emergency ward turned upside down when I arrived with an almost dead person there. It got even worse when they found out she was Rachel Alma. All the doctors were called in from their homes to treat her. I was left alone almost immediately after handing over the patient and I quietly stepped back into a corner to let the professionals do their work.

I contemplated whether to stay for the police to arrive or go back immediately and I really didn't want to waste any more time in the hospital. I had done my part, Rachel was being treated by the best doctors and I had someone waiting for me.

I didn't shift back the entire time, so I ran out of there to go back into the forest.

>>Mael

I treated mom's injuries, and like Eli had said they weren't life-threatening or anything, so I cleaned it up, applied the ointments, and bandaged her up, then put her to bed. Throughout this entire time, she didn't wake up.

I took a deep breath and checked her breathing, it was fine, and though it relaxed me, my heart was still in a state of fear.

I stabbed Rachel, my stepmother.

I sat on the bedside and grabbed the back of my neck in fear

I thought I killed her...

Oh! I hope she survives! I felt anxiety build in my chest and I began to panic. What if she dies? How will I escape this murder?

I bit my lower lip in distress.

But what if she lives? She won't let this go. She'll come again to kill mom, maybe she'll kill Amara this time too!

I tightened my grip on the back of my neck and bit my lip harder. My anxiety got worse.

I'm stuck on both sides.

I began to bop back and forth in worry. I'm really done for this time. I shouldn't have come to visit mom without any notice. I should have endured it, I shouldn't have been this weak. Why did I give in? I've only done badly for myself. Dad will find out soon enough too...

What will he do then? Is it possible for him to not find out?

...

No,

The story will reach the media too, to shut it down, dad will need to step up but he'll have to know all the details...

I started feeling queasy again. Like the oxygen in my lungs was being drained out.

How is it, that everything just steadily kept getting worse? My eyes stung as I tried to fight back the tears that were begging to come out.

I've messed up so badly this time... I sunk my head into my thighs. Will I be able to get through this? How? I feel like I'm finally done for! But I held out for so many years! Are all my efforts going to waste?

!!!

There was some commotion downstairs and I froze for a moment then realized who it might be.

Eli!

I stood up from the bed in a hurry, a weird sense of relief started washing over me as soon as he crossed my mind but at the same time, I felt dread grasp my thoughts. I yet had no solution for any of my problems. My emotions were a messed mush but as I ran down the stairs and he came into view I felt like there was hope for me.

His clothes, his shirt, and his pants were clean but there was blood on his skin, most likely from carrying Rachel all the way to the hospital.

"Mael," He let out a sigh of relief after seeing me and my heart hurt. I ran into his embrace without a pause. I just went ahead and wrapped my arms around him as I crashed into his chest.

"Eli..." I felt better with him right next to me, I felt the anxiety ease a bit, but tears still poured from my eyes, "What do I do?" His scent made me ease into him.

His scent.... His pheromones... They felt really nice and warm.

He was startled at my action at first but then he wrapped his arms around me and held me tightly in his arms.

The night had turned to its darkest hour. The cabin was completely silent as it stood in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by woods. The forest gets chilly at night but Eli felt cozy. His warmth was like none other.

"It's alright." He placed his cheek on my head as he comforted me, "I'm going to stay right here," I calmed down a bit more, so much, that I even felt drowsy, "With you,"