Chapter 3

Tap tap tap, the rapping elegantly vibrated the door. Layla jumped out of her chair at the unexpected sound. Glancing at the pile of homework, she grimaced and set down her pencil. Carefully, she opened the door with an icicle in one hand.

"Miss Layla," Gwendolynn Abney spoke softly, "still doing homework I see! Such a studious child you are; though I bet you didn't have this much from your other schooling."

The ice melted into a bubble that floated up towards the ceiling. Swiftly, the young girl let the elderly woman inside her room before shutting the door. With a click, the door lock secured them inside. "What can I do for you Mrs. Abney?"

"Now sweety, this time it's what can I do for you? Children all over the compound are asking, begging, or ordering their dress for the dance. I know your circumstance is unusual which I why I came to offer you money and services for a dress. We do this for the homeless children that are given scholarships as well."

Her words slipped through Layla's mind as she pictured one dress. Her mother always loved European and American styles. It was the reason why she knew English and every language in Europe; plus, her name was Layla and Garrett was Garrett. There father chose their middle names which fit more for Garrett's personality than hers' ever would. Layla Erő Barnabas, erő meaning power. Garrett Erő Barnabas, erő meaning force.

Her favorite dress was a grass green that was skin tight and a little slit on her left leg because that was her dominant one. Floral were the traditional patterns of Hungarians so she tweaked her lace to be of little flowers. The lace started at the middle of her neck and flowed down to the top her chest where it connected to silk. An opal shape was cut out right above her cleavage. It barely showed anything but still proved to be a glamorous look.

Turning around, Layla began her description of the dress and exactly how she wanted it. Mrs. Abney wrapped the measuring tape around her several times to get all her measurements. Before she ran out the door, Mrs. Abney smiled at Layla. Her cheeks flushed with excitement and adrenaline. "I look forward to seeing you in this! This dress will stun the populous." With that, she unlocked the door and zoomed down the hall.

That night, Layla dreamed of dancing with her mother in their twin dresses.

As Layla spent more time with the new group, she slowly grew more accustomed to their presence. After the first day, they stopped asking her questions; except, their observations of her increased. They knew she was from a different country and she was wanted by the Night Marchers but that was it. Her element control was outstanding yet nothing out of the ordinary. At one point, a student asked about her ability to one of the teachers.

"Her parents could have taught her while she went to school or she could have been in an accelerated program within another school before she came here. Now, quit worrying about her abilities and worry about your won. One of you will be in the championship coming up so now is the time to hone your skills like Layla." After that, nobody asked anymore.

Then finally, it was the first fight. Layla followed behind jaylen as the rest trailed in behind her. This time the special ops positioned themselves throughout the stadium. A large field incorporated all the elements within. In the middle, there was a pond; a portion of the ground was made into the grassy plains. One the other side was a bonfire. One set of doors let people in and out of the arena. Around the field's circumference were twelve circular benches rising towards the ceiling.

As they sat down, they waited for the teachers to come out.

"Who will be fighting today?" Layla asked the group.

"You don't know?" Tristen gawked at her. "Haven't you been listening to our conversations for the past week?"

Layla flinched back from him while squinting her eyes. "No, my mind has been... What do you call it?"