Ten

2.8k! OHMIGOSH!!! THIS IS AWESOME!!! Thanks guys!!! Hope you all liked this chapter! The image above is Collin's wolf, Fang!

Collin's POV

I was really glad that Dr. Stone let Baleigh stay. I couldn't let her go back to that dirtbag! After dinner that night, we both stayed up until 3am watching old Hallmark Channel movies in my room. Most of them were the romantic ones. Baleigh fell asleep on my shoulder near the end of A Novel Romance. It scared me at first, but I let her be. She had been through so much that. I didn't want to make it worse. 

I didn't realize how much time we were spending together until Kiera invited her for a girl's day. 

"Oh come on Collin! Just for today!" Kiera protested. "It's not like we're going to go bungee jumping off the Grand Canyon! But that does sound fun." 

"But how do you know she'll be safe? You don't know what's out there!" I slumped in my chair. 

"I don't see why you're making a big deal out of this. Baleigh is only gonna be gone for about 5 hours. She'll be with me the whole time. I won't let anything happed to her." 

"Promise?" 

"Promise." 

I let out a sigh and stood up. "Fine, I'll go tell her." 

"I already know." Baleigh was standing at the door. For the first time since I met her, she was wearing make-up. She had mascara, a thin line of black eyeliner on her eyelids, a pale shade of pink for lipgloss, and her cheeks looked more pink than normal. What is it called? Cheek powder? I would have to ask Kiera. 

"Wow. You look..." I couldn't think of what to say. 

"Amazing." Baleigh finished the sentence for me. 

"Yeah. That word." I felt me cheeks get red and hot. 

She blushed. Kiera walked over, her heels making clicking noises on the hardwood floor. 

"I think she looks adorable! Thought she needed a little something to go with the new blouse I got her! Apparently, she doesn't know how to braid hair! Every girl should know how to braid hair! It's Girl Fashion 101! My goodness!" Kiera continued to talk to Baleigh as they walked out the door. Baleigh turned her head to my direction and waved. I waved back before they vanished to the stairs. 

About 10 minutes after the girls left, Nate asked me if I wanted to go running with him. I hadn't gone in a week. The last time I went was when I smelled that strange scent. I spent the rest of the afternoon looking for it and found nothing. Every time I got close to the scent, it would fade away and appear somewhere else. I wonder if Nate and I could find whatever I was looking for. 

We reached the forest and shifted. I felt my bones pop and snap as they rearranged themselves. Fur sprouted from my skin and I transformed into a sand-colored wolf. Nate shifted into a black-colored wolf. We both raced through the woods, feeling the wind on our fur, seeing very color inside the thick wood. 

A voice inside my head spoke to me. "Why can't you run any faster, Collin! I want to be Alpha!" The voice made a whining sound as it spoke. 

"My goodness Fang! It's not a race! We came out here to run and stretch our legs. Not a death race!" 

Fang stayed silent after that. I was glad. Fang was great and all, but he complains too much. Always wants to win at everything and anything. Probably wouldn't want him a pack game night. 

Nate and I ran for about another 45 minutes when Nate suddenly stopped. 

"What is it?" I asked. Nate shushed me and pricked his ears. He stuck his nose out in the air and sniffed. I became curious at what he was doing to I sniffed the air too. 

It was very faint, but I did recognize it. It was the same scent that I smelled last week! Fang started yelling in my head. 

"Go after it slow poke! We might find it this time! Maybe even beat Nate to it and claim the prize! Move!" 

"Will you shut up?" I shouted out loud. Nate turned his head to me. 

"Sorry. Fang on my tail," I said. Nate looked at me for a few seconds before turning back to the scent. 

It was getting stronger. It must be moving toward us. Nate took off running toward the smell. Part of me thought it was a bad idea but another part wanted me to follow him. I gave into the second one. 

The scent was getting stronger. It was making my nose burn. I wanted Nate to stop but he was too far ahead of me. I slowed down, my head feeling like it was on fire. The smell seemed to spread from my nose to my head. Then my neck and chest burned. It was like I had eaten fire and it was spreading to my whole body. I fell to the hard ground, whimpering in pain. I tried to shift back but the pain made it hard to think of my human body. 

"Nate! Nate! Help me!" I didn't hear anything from Nate. He must have ran off. Or he could have been attacked by a hunter. I didn't know. 

The pain suddenly felt like needles. I let out an agonizing howl. My vision started to blur when a saw a tall figure come up to me. I tried to keep my eyes open and see who it was. Instead, I was knocked out unconscious. 

YAY! Thanks for much, again, for the votes and views! I'm so happy! I had to leave this cliffhanger because I really wanted to end this chapter like this! I would love comments on the side for any mistakes that I made. Please don't forget those!