Twenty-Six

Collin's POV

I stood on the wooden floor in shock. My mate's life was on the line and I knew that if I took one step closer she would be dead. Jacob didn't move a centimeter as he held the knife to her throat. Nate, in wolf form, growled quietly. He didn't move as well. The entire room was as still as a painting.

"Why are you doing this?" I asked. I knew the best thing I could do to prevent getting Baleigh killed was to talk my way out of it. The people in the movies do it all the time. If they can do it, so can I.

"Ha! You really think talking me out of it will get me to put the knife down?" Jacob chuckled. "You're as stupid as her father."

"Don't you dare talk about my dad like that!" Baleigh whimpered. Jacob pulled at her.

"Shut up! Or this knife will have our blood all over it."

Baleigh shook. She looked terrified. My legs felt like jell-o as I saw her like this. What do I do?

"But that's the thing," Baleigh said. "You wouldn't kill me. You can't."

"What makes you think that?" Jacob asked.

"Because you would have done it already. Instead, you're just holding me here, threatening to kill me. But you haven't and you won't. I know you're not like that."

"Will you ever keep your mouth shut, human!" Jacob sighed in frustration. "I hate humans."

Suddenly, something furry came jumping out from behind the fallen couch. The fur ball attached itself onto Jacob's legs. Jacob jumped back.

"Get off of me you stupid beast!" Baleigh dropped out of his arms. He knife fell to the ground as Jacob shook his leg.

"Hurry! We need to get out of here!" I yelled. Nate helped Baleigh up. She nodded as the three of us ran out of the room. I heard a loud shriek before I saw Kato running toward us.

"Was that Kato who just attacked that guy?" Baleigh asked.

"Looks like it," I said.

Sorry this was so short but I've been gone all week at a camp and I'm not very good at writing about people being chased. I'll make sure to write the next chapter as soon as I can. Make sure to vote and leave comments!