Susumu x Ezekiel ♡ Promise

this was requested anonymously please forgive me

to make this a less unpleasant experience, this an au in which they're not brothers so don't kill me

✧○ꊞ○ꊞ○ꊞ○ꊞ○ꊞ○ꊞ○ꊞ○ꊞ○ꊞ○✧

It's been more than five years since the day Susumu lost his best friend, Ezekiel, to All For One.

Five years of suffering that nobody could even begin to comprehend.

As Susumu adjusted to the new school, he began to realize more and more over time that he would never find Ezekiel; rather, Ezekiel would find him.

So, he allowed himself to be okay with life. To have fun with his peers. To make friends. All new things he'd never tried before. Yet, unbeknownst to him, Ezekiel had been watching. He'd been lurking in every alleyway or crowd, watching Susumu. He'd been closely observing his movements, trying to match his sin's strength with that of Susumu.

Ezekiel sat on the branch of the large oak tree behind the school, watching as Susumu trained with Axel. The latter seemed to be smiling, chatting with Susumu happily. He always seemed to be the happy-go-lucky type. Ezekiel threw a rock down, managing to make it bounce three times before hitting the soft grass.

Susumu didn't laugh or smile, but he seemed to humor the scarlet-haired boy anyways. Although he couldn't hear what they were saying, it was clear they were enjoying themselves. Axel laughed again, his cheeks developing a rosy tint. Susumu had watched as he did before looking away.

Ezekiel gripped the rocks in his hand tighter. He stared at the duo intently, trying to imprint the scene into his mind. This, he reminded himself, is pitiful. Weak. He's setting himself up to be vulnerable to manipulation. Truly, Susumu was always an idiot.

He tossed another rock down with a gentle flick of his wrist, the pebble skipping three times.

"Ezekiel," he heard a deep, raspy voice utter from behind him, "it's time, my son."

Ezekiel didn't turn. He stared right at Axel before tossing two rocks. One bounced four times, but the other didn't even bounce once. It barely had a chance.

✧○ꊞ○ꊞ○ꊞ○ꊞ○ꊞ○ꊞ○ꊞ○ꊞ○ꊞ○✧

It had been only seven months into Susumu's first school year, but he'd learned a lot. He was able to manipulate his lightning abilities to the point where he could withstand the numbing for a few blasts. Even if it wasn't that big of an improvement, it felt massive to Susumu. He was getting better. He would become a hero.

He stood, staring out towards the frozen lake. His grey scarf swayed lightly with the gentle, cool breeze. It trapped his hair, making it stick up in the back where his scarf's coil ended. Snowflakes had erupted from the sky hours prior, causing his mauve hair to be sprinkled with the tiny flecks of frost. He had bags under his amethyst eyes, making him look miserable and tired. He rarely slept anymore—as he was unable to ward off nightmares—therefore making the smeared, dark-tinted skin under his eyes an accurate representation of his internal turmoil.

His guilt and angst was indefinite. He'd never be able to sleep peacefully again if he didn't save Ezekiel. He prayed for a chance to prove himself. To prove he could save him. More than anything, he desired to hold Ezekiel close and tell him he'd protect him; forever, even past the expiration date of both of their lives.