Prologue: Alone

(One year ago)

(Y/n) shifted uncomfortably between the heavy, wooden crates around them. They flinched as the cart jerked over a bump in the road, jostling the poor Abyssinian into the trade goods around them. They had been on the road with these strange merchants for around four days now. Since they hadn't planned on bringing (Y/n) along they had forced them to stay with the luggage.

(Y/n) was hot, thirsty, sore, and hungry. Combine that with the trauma and heartbreak they had experienced mere days ago and you get a pretty miserable individual. (Y/n) tightened their grip on the scrap of red fabric Capper had given them before they had left Klugetown. They wished that they had said more to him in that moment.

(Y/n) fought back the tears welling up in their eyes. They couldn't afford to cry about it now. Right now they needed to focus on their current situation and how they could help Capper get out of the Bone Dry desert. The cart came to an abrupt halt and (Y/n) heard the merchants shuffling around outside. There was a blinding flash of light as one of the merchants ripped the covering off.

"Get off," he gruffly demanded, "this is as far as we're going to take you."

(Y/n) staggered to their feet and practically fell off the cart. They picked themselves up off the ground, dusted themself off, and looked around. They were at some sort of train station, that's what it looked like at least. A couple of western style buildings littered the area forming a small town.

"Where are-".

"Appleoosa." One of the merchants interrupted.

(Y/n)'s eyes stretched wide with disbelief.

"Appleoosa? Appleoosa! But isn't that in Equestria?!"

"Congratulations, you know your geography."

"But that's a completely different country! You promised Capper that you would-"

"We promised your little friend that we'd get you out of Klugetown and drop you off at a town. We didn't promise that you'd be in the same country." The merchant explained, his voice dangerously low, "in short, you aren't my problem anymore."

By now a couple of ponies had begun to gather at the scene, curious as to what all the fuss was about. (Y/n) watched in shock as the merchants packed up their stuff and left. It took a moment for the gravity of the situation truely hit them. Upon realizing the severity of their circumstance (Y/n) leaned heavily on a nearby post.

Their stomach twisted painfully and for a moment (Y/n) thought they were going to be sick. They audibly gagged before falling to their knees. They buried their face in their hands as a strangled sob escaped from their mouth. They didn't want to cry, not with all these ponies staring at them.

Equestria, how could they be in Equestria? That was so far away... What were they going to do now? What could they do now? Was there anything they could do now? There had to be something they could do!

(Y/n) felt someone place a gentle hoof on their shoulder. They lifted their head from their hands and met the eyes of a very concerned tan pegasus.

"Excuse me, are you alright?" she gently inquired.

"I'm in a foreign country miles away from anyone I know. I don't have any place I can go or anyone I can turn to. I have no idea if I'm ever going to see the one person I care about the most ever again. I'm stuck in a strange town without a dollar to my name."

(Y/n) paused and used the red scrap of fabric to wipe away a couple of tears.

"So yeah," they half sobbed half laughed, "I'm doing perfectly fine."

************************************

FIRST CHAPTER WHOOT!

I would like to thank KcMangleWolf0587 for suggesting the topic of this chapter.

The next part will be up soon. Since the schools in my state are still on strike you guys can expect multiple chapters to be published in a short amount of time. (#Redfored)

The cover of the book is available for download on my DeviantArt account under the same username.

Thanks for reading this and starting this new adventure with me!

Love you guys! ♥️