Unfinished business

Verko drummed his fingers irritably on his desk. He checked his watch and growled angrily, his appointment should have arrived by now. Verko jerked his head up as the door to his office creaked open.

"You're late," he growled, glaring at the newcomer through his glasses, "I don't appreciate tardiness".

"My apologies," a smooth voice replied, "the streets were busier than usual today".

Verko highly doubted that.

"Now," the voice continued, "why have you called me here?"

"I have a job for you."

"Oh?"

Verko slid a photograph across his desk. The stranger picked it up and inspected it.

"Capper Dapperpaws, one of your former debtors," he obseved, "what about him?"

"The cat thinks he's gotten out of paying off his debt."

"You can't pay off anything if you're dead."

"He's not dead."

"He was abducted by the Storm King's army, I'm pretty sure he's dead."

"That's not what my sources tell me," Verko's glasses glinted ominously as he adjusted them, "the cat some how not only escaped but went on to help overthrow the Storm King himself."

Verko pulled out a newspaper clipping that showed the cat in question standing next to a hippogriff, a group of pirates, a dragon, and seven ponies. The article itself was titled Team of unlikely heroes saves Equestria. Verko then proceeded to present a number of pictures of the cat celebrating with his friends.

"Okay, the cat's alive," the figure admitted, "what now?"

"I want you to bring him back here where he belongs. I don't care what strings you have to pull or how many hoops you have to jump through. You can do whatever you want as long as you get that sorry debtor back to me."

"Any idea where he could be?"

"About a year back Capper had a little girlfriend he tried to hide from me. She was interfering with business so I had to 'get rid' of her. Capper didn't like that so he snuck her out of town thinking that she'd be safe. What he forgot was that I have eyes and ears everywhere. I've been keeping tabs on her since she left.

My sources indicate that the two reunited at the festival and quickly started dating again. About a week ago Capper was spotted boarding a train to Abyssinia before my sources lost track of him."

"So you don't know where he is."

"I have a good idea where he might be."

Verko pulled out a map of Abyssinia and spread it across his desk. He grabbed a red marker and motioned for his visitor to pay close attention.

"This is Panthera," he began, circling the spot on the map, "Capper used to live there with an old buddy of his. He might have gone back to his former home to try and start over. However it is more likely that he is here," he circled another spot,"in Tabbytown. That's where his little girlfriend is."

Verko looked up at his guest.

"If you bring Capper to me alive I will excuse your debt and you will once again be a free man. Do we have a deal, Mendax?"

The four eyed fox smiled slyly, revealing his sharp canine teeth.

"Why yes, I believe we do. I do have one question though," Mendax admitted, "What should I do to anyone who gets in my way?"

"You can do whatever you want, kill them for all I care. As long as Capper's alive when he gets here I don't care what you do."

Mendax grinned, "Fantastic, this shouldn't take long."

**********************************

What is this? Is this a plot? But Grumpytabby, you said there wouldn't be a plot.

I know, I changed my mind.

As a side note, GUESS WHO JUST GRADUATED FROM HIGHSCHOOL?!

It was me, I did.

I'm going to have a lot of time to work on stories now. I might even revive Deep in the Meadow.

Speaking of writing there are still TWO OPEN REQUEST SLOTS FOR THIS STORY!

Also if you don't know who Mendax is he's the character who was supposed to be Capper before the Capper we all know and love was created. You can find pictures of him in the art book for the mlp movie.

Thank you so much for reading this! See you soon!

I love you guys! ♥️