Resolve [10]

10. Resolve

Maureen

"Dad..."

"What is it, Maureen?"

"I need your help."

So began my phone call to my father as soon as I left the hospital that Saturday afternoon.

"It will be difficult," he told me, after I had reached his office and had explained the plan I had come up with. "You'll need to get the child's medical records from her parents, as well as verify that she has a passport... I think she should also be immediately evaluated by one of our doctors to confirm that she's able to travel... and the rules of the board demands that you present the case before them for consideration. You'll have to get a unanimous vote. It will be a lot, Maureen. Are you sure you can handle it?"

"As long as I have your support."

"Well, there's no question of that," he said, and I reached across the desk to take his hand in mine. His tie was undone, his shirt sleeves rolled up. There were circles beneath his eyes and a full cup of coffee sat next to his arm on the desk; he had called for a fresh one as soon as he had finished his last. My father was more tired than I had ever seen him. But he had canceled an important meeting to sit down with me, and that spoke volumes.

"When can I talk to the board?" I asked, trying to sound brave. Public speaking was definitely not one of my strong suits.

"As soon as you can get the records and have the child seen by one of our team members. Dr. Fields, to be precise."

"Tomorrow's Sunday. I'll schedule an appointment with him for Monday."

"Have you spoken with the girl's parents? Have they agreed to submit her to the program?"

"Not yet... but I will. Today. Her parents are divorced, and I don't think Lacey has even met her father. I have to contact her mother... I'll have to ask Ryan for her number." I said, thinking aloud.

"It's absolutely extraordinary that you would meet this little girl, not knowing that her older brother was working as your employee," my father said after a minute and I nodded. "It can't be a coincidence, Maureen."

"I don't think it was."

"The Lord put you in this little girl's life for a reason. To help her."

"I think so," I said softly.

My father sat back in his chair, pressing his fingers together. He stared towards the window, looking thoughtful. "And what did you say the boy's name was?"

"Ryan... Ryan Adams."

Ryan

I stared at my laptop screen and the blank Microsoft Word page, tapping my fingers against the keyboard. Write an essay on The Evolving Sales and Marketing Landscape of Today... Easier said than done.

I briefly contemplated going the cheat route and getting a Google ensured starter for the thing, but I dismissed it after a few seconds of reveling in the idea of recycling someone else's information.

My cell phone rang and desperate for any excuse to slam down the lid of my computer and avoid the essay for another day, I dove for it.

"Hello?" I said after glancing at the caller. It was Maureen. Maybe she needed me to work today after all. She'd texted me the night before not to come.

"Hey," she said.

"Hey, how are you?"

"I'm fine," she said. "How are you?"