Daring [11]

11. Daring

Maureen

"Hey, Mom... yeah, I'm doing fine. How are you?" Ryan frowned at whatever she said and a muscle in his cheek jumped. I watched him and when he was quiet for a few seconds, I leaned over, trying to meet his gaze. He glanced at me and almost immediately, the cloud over his eyes receded and he smiled a little. I smiled back and he nodded to himself, as if setting his mind about something.

"Mom... I have to tell you something. No, it's okay. Mom, no, relax," he chuckled at whatever tangent she was going off on. "No, just listen. I have someone sitting here on my couch right now, who is offering something absolutely out of this world. For Lacey. Yeah... You know how I'm working for John Carvelli's daughter, right? Well, you're never going to believe this: she volunteers at the children's hospital where Lacey is. Yeah. And you know how Lacey has been going on and on about this girl named Mary? Well, Mary is Maureen, my employer. Crazy, right? Yes, I'm serious...Yeah, she's been seeing Lacey, maybe six weeks now?" He glanced at me for confirmation and I nodded. "Yes. I know, it's crazy... Well, that's the thing. Maureen has offered-" I made a face at him and he smirked, "she's insisting on paying for Lacey to get alternative treatment. She has it all worked out... I'm dead serious, Mom." I smiled, watching as his eyes softened and he rocked his knee back and forth, brushing against mine, as if he was too happy to contain it. A warm glow filled my stomach and worked its way up to my cheeks. I was so glad I could help him and Lacey and his mom. This was the best feeling ever. "Yes, she wants to...I told her that too, Mom- she won't take no for an answer." Ryan shook his head at me and grinned. "Yeah... Mom, don't cry.... you want to talk to her?" Ryan raised his eyebrows at me, though he was talking to his mom. I nodded, feeling a little nervous. "Okay, here she is," Ryan smiled encouragingly at me and then passed me the phone.

"What's her name?" I whispered, holding my hand over the phone.

"Diane," he whispered back.

"Her last name?"

"Adams." I nodded, and then pressed the phone to my ear.

"Hello?"

"Is this Maureen?" I heard an elegant, sweet voice ask. Her voice cracked on my name.

"Yes... Mrs. Adams?"

"Call me Diane, dear... are you the angel that wants to help Lacey?" Her voice was incredulous, as if she still didn't believe it.

I laughed lightly. "I wouldn't call myself an angel-" Ryan suddenly reached out, pulling the phone from my grasp and interjected,

"Yes, Mom, she is an angel. She lives in denial," he said and then handed the phone back.

I glared at him. "Very funny," I muttered. He smirked and I rolled my eyes.

"As I was saying, I'm not sure about the angel part, but I definitely want to help Lacey... can I tell you about my plan?"

"Of course, please do."

I went on to outline all the details. I explained the history of the products, why Lacey would have to go to China, and how long it should take for any signs of improvement. I told her about the other cancer victims who had been cured and how I was convinced that Lacey could be as well. I had already spoken to my father, making all the arrangements. Diane and Lacey would stay in the house of an American doctor who lived there for three months. He would treat Lacey along with his Chinese colleague, Dr. Sao Min. They could be set to go within the next few days if she agreed to it. She would need a passport for herself and for Lacey. All the finances were already taken care of. I told her that if she would allow me, I would take care of her personal bills and maintaining her house while she was away. I gave her my phone number and told her I wanted to meet up with her as soon as possible. She was crying again by the time I had finished. That's when I handed the phone back to Ryan and he spoke to her, to calm her down. I wasn't surprised by the gentleness in his voice. It was a side he only showed when it came to his family. At one point, he turned to me and pulled me against him, wrapping an arm around my shoulders. I let him hold me for a few seconds, too surprised to resist.