Friends [13]

13. Friends

Ryan

We pulled up in front of Darren's house an hour later.

"We're here," I said, before climbing out of my truck. We had already dropped off Carl at his house in Palmdale and then we went to my place to change cars. Maureen wasn't too thrilled about the idea of showing up in a limo.

Walking around to the other side of the car, I found Maureen had already hopped out and was leaning against the side of the truck, smiling like the cat that ate the canary. Obviously very pleased with herself.

"Maureen, what's the point of your having a driver if you won't let me do my job?" I asked, both exasperated and somewhat amused.

"You're not my driver right now," she said, pretending to be miffed.

"Then what am I?"

"Just a friend," she grinned. I rolled my eyes, faking annoyance, but I was just trying to hide any reaction to the word friend. I was starting to really dislike the word...

Turning, I started up the walkway. Maureen caught up with me a second later and tucked her hand into the crook of my elbow. I glanced at her but she was staring ahead, almost as if she were pretending I wasn't there- that she wasn't holding onto my arm in that trusting, gentle way of hers. But she was blushing so I knew that she knew that I was looking at her. I grinned to myself and looked forward too. It was such an old-fashioned thing to do; but undeniably cute.

The front door suddenly slammed open and Maureen flinched, startled. Darren stood in front of us, shirtless, holding a beer in one hand and piece of pizza in the other.

"You made it!" He shouted, raising his beer in greeting. The guy was infamous for stating the obvious.

"Yeah. What's up?" I said, pulling Maureen up the porch steps behind me.

"Dude, you almost missed the pizza- hey." He finally noticed Maureen. He stared at her for a moment. "Who's she?"

"Come on. I'm sure you can figure it out." I glanced at Maureen and she was staring at Darren, eyes somewhat wider than normal. I felt my lips twitching.

"Naw, man-" Darren said, shaking his head, recognition sparking in his face. "That's, uh, the girl- your employer girl! The Carvelli- oi! You're the Carvelli girl, aren't you?"

She didn't answer.

"Twenty." Darren mouthed at me, as if she wasn't there and I frowned at him. He turned back to her, simultaneously setting his beer down on a table next to the door. "Mizz Carvelli," He drawled slowly, stepping forward, extending his hand. "It is very nice to meet you. I am Darren," he placed a self-righteous hand on his chest and closed his eyes as he introduced himself. I rolled my eyes.

Maureen smiled slowly, amused. "It's... nice to meet you too, Darren."

"Please, please, do come in," he said grandly, sweeping his hand towards the door. I gave him a get a life look and wordlessly drew Maureen towards the door with me. Darren came in after us and then ushered us down to the basement.

Darren had decked the place out pretty well, I had to give him that. The walls were painted maroon and the carpet was a weird shade of orange- but it looked okay. There was a pool table, dartboards everywhere and a huge stereo system next to the TV. The rock music playing was at a comfortable background level.

As we walked in, everyone turned to look at us. Or rather, at Maureen. The girls- Sasha and Gina- zeroed in on Maureen's hand on my arm (naturally) and the guys stared at Maureen as if they'd never seen a beautiful girl before. It gave me the strangest feeling of mixed pride and jealousy. I wasn't sure if I liked it or not.