Chapter 4: Getting to know Fayetteville

As we left the elevator, I commented on the historical places around Fayetteville.

"What is your favorite places to go here in Fayetteville, Derek?" I said, passing the front desk where Mrs. Harding sat.

“Well, one of my favorite places is the Oak Grove Plantation, but there is another called the Averasboros Battlefield and Museum. That is where the Battle of Averasboros took place on March 15th-16th, 1865. My brother and I go there when they do a reenactment in those days.”

We approached a black Chevy Silverado crew cab truck sitting on twenty-twos. Light from the sun shone on it as if polished. You could tell it was well looked after. There wasn't a mark of dirt to be spotted, it was spotless.

“Nice truck. It reminds me of my dad’s,” I said remembering the memory vividly.

“I remembered that in the box Tanner left with Lexi there was a purple heart. What branch of the services was your father in?” Derek asked, putting Layne in the black leather car seat.

“He was in the Army like you.”

"I see. Well, if you like, I can show you around some of the places you'll need to know, such as the school, the bank, and the grocery store."

"Thanks. I'd appreciate that. Lexi was going to do that, but I guess her mother needed her help with something."

We all hopped inside the truck and drove onto the road. Music was blasting making the car shake slightly, but I paid no attention. I was too busy watching the trees fly by in a blur from the window. It reminded me of the time when my father was stationed at Fort Bragg.

It was as if we had never left, given from the scenery, even more so as an adult. I snapped back to reality as Dixie grabbed my attention.

"What is it, baby? I didn't hear what you had asked," I said looking into her ocean blue eyes.

"I was saying that Layne and Marcie are asleep. Do you think we could get something quick? Besides, it would be a good idea for us to get out of the house tomorrow," Dixie suggested.

"Sure, baby. We'll get Derek to go to McDonald's and get something to eat, and then we'll head home. Does that sound okay Derek?" I ask looking in his direction.

"Sure," Derek shrugged. "I'll let Lexi know that you'll need to go the store and the kids enrolled in school tomorrow."

"I had mentioned that we would rent a movie, but since the kids are asleep, would you mind taking a rain check on the movie?"

"I don't mind. In fact, I have a good idea where we can do movie night. I'll let you know when," he smiled

"Okay."

We pulled into the drive-thru at McDonald's in downtown Fayetteville. A lady welcomed through the intercom and asked us what they could get for us.

"So, Letty, what do the kids want to eat?" Derek asked.

"A cheeseburger with a happy meal, a hamburger happy meal, and a chicken nugget happy meal."

Derek told the lady what I mentioned what the kids want. He also said that he would like a meal with a Dr. Pepper.

"Would that complete your order tonight?" the lady said.

"No, ma'am, give me a second," Derek said exchanging looks with me. "What would you like to eat?"

"The same as you," I smiled.

"Okay ma'am, make that two number ones," he spoke to the intercom.

"All right then. Come to the first window to pay," the lady said.

As we did, I offered to pay, but Derek suggested that it was his treat. He's so sweet. It was his way of welcoming us to our new house.  Our friendship was progressing quite well.

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

If you enjoyed this chapter be sure to tap the star at the ⬇️.