19 | PROMISE |

"WHAT THE HELL is going on?" Rory hissed under her breath as action seemed to overtake everyone

"WHAT THE HELL is going on?" Rory hissed under her breath as action seemed to overtake everyone. She could see the Cullen's mouths were moving, but they were talking so fast she couldn't hear what they were saying.

At her side, Jasper held her hand protectively, but not too tightly otherwise he would crush it with his strength.

"Emmett, Esme, go to the house just in case." The patriarch looked to Jasper and Rosalie. "We'll follow them." Carlisle glanced at the direction the nomads had taken.

"Get Bella and Rory out of here. Take them home." Carlisle commanded Edward. Rory frowned deeply as Edward grabbed both her and Bella's arms, her gaze set on Jasper in confusion.

Before Edward could rush them towards the jeep, Jasper stopped him, grabbing the arm the gripped Rory's firmly. Edward let her go at once, understanding his brother's thoughts.

"What's wrong, Jasper?" Carlisle questioned with a frown.

The blond shook his head. "Rory can't go home with them—if the nomads follow them, they'll see Rory and realize she's human without my scent masking her." Jasper looked at Edward with knowing eyes. "Edward will be focused on Bella, not Rory, and I am sorry, but I won't risk that. I refuse to leave her vulnerable."

Rory felt completely terrified of vampires for once, the scarlet gaze of the nomads burned into her retina. Yet, the thought that she was in possible danger didn't deter her from her true fear. The nomad, James specifically, was after her best friend.

Rory cupped Jasper's cheek. "You have to help Bella," she said simply.

Around her, the Cullen's were struck by Rory's unfailing loyalty and protectiveness of Bella, the girl herself gaping at the selfless words of her closest friend.

"I promised that I would always protect you," Jasper looked at Rory pleadingly. "Can you please stay at the house with Emmett and Esme?"

"He's right. It'll be easier for Bella and Edward to get away if they're not worrying about Rory. You'll be safer with us, Rory," Esme came up behind Rory, placing a hand on her shoulder comfortingly. Esme met everyone's gaze. "We'll run her to the house."

Emmett nodded in affirmation.

Rory sighed deeply, holding his sculpted cheek gently. "Jasper..."

"Rory, I love you too much to leave you," Jasper said quietly. Rory felt everyone's eyes on them and instead of feeling embarrassed or awkward, her heart warmed.

After a moment, Rory nodded much to Jasper's gratitude.

"Alright, but you two—" Carlisle said, turning to Edward and Bella, "Go."

The couple ran to the jeep while Alice, Carlisle, and Rosalie headed into the woods after the nomads. Jasper glanced at Rory worriedly before taking off with them, wanting to find the nomads and keep his family safe—Rory most of all.