20: Ballad Of Broken Glass

Lightbulb's P.O.V:

I saw Fan. I couldn't take it. Everything just drowned out around me. I swallowed. I recoiled, and nearly vomited from the taste and the feeling. I've always hated medication. I stood still. I'm stuck in a black space. I can't see anything but black. I can't hear anything but black noise. Not white noise, just black noise. Then it crashes down on me like a brick. Everything snaps back into place. I'm twitching on the floor, at least, I think this is the floor. My vision is blurred, and all I hear are rushed voices. The crackling of the Intercom. This hurts way more than an thought it would. With every twitch, every contraction of my muscles, it burns, and then stops. I become unable to move the muscle. I want it to just hurry up and end. It's not fair. This....isn't fair. My hearing tunes in to hear Painty screaming. "WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU CAN'T FIX HER?! SHE'S DYING ON THE FLOOR, YOU DUMB MOTHER FREAKING SCIENTIST!?" I heard Testy's nervous voice. "Part of that was Cyanide.....I can't fix that. She's going to die, either way. It was her choice" She responded. Fan rushed over to me. "Oh my-....oh no....Lightbulb? Can you hear me?" He waved his hand in front of my face. I nodded my head weakly, not sure what else to do. He turned around and called over his shoulder. "She's still holding on! I repeat, she's still holding on" That's a weird thing to say, isn't it?

Paintbrush's P.O.V:

If I could break that viewing glass, I would. Then I hear Fan. I run as fast I can Towards lightbulb. Then I cringe seeing her state. Her eyes are dull, her face is pale, and she's twitching non stop. Her face is stuck in a grimace. I tear up instantly. "You big idiot" I choke. I can't help it. She's dying on the floor, and there's nothing I can do. "P-Painty....do you still sing?" She asked weakly. Fan looked shocked. "You can sing?" I shot him a warning glare then turned back to Lightbulb. I carefully lifted her up onto my lap, trying not to hurt her. "Not usually...but today can be an exception." I reply weakly. I hate seeing her like this. "Do y-you remember my favorite?" She stammered, twitching and coughing. She's running out of breath. "Do you want that one for a lullaby?" I asked softly. It may seem horribly childish...but I don't care. If she wants it, she's getting it. She nods and I clear my throat. It's been about two years since I've ever tried to sing this one. I try my best to sing clearly, but it's still shaky and low. "Deep in the meadow....under the willow.... a bed of grass....a soft green pillow...."I start. I notice her eyes starting to close, and Fan gasp and sob behind me. "Not yet" I shook her quietly, and she gazed dully at me. "I'm not done yet" I pleaded quietly. "O-Okay...please finish" She coughed, then laid back onto me. "A bed of grass....a soft green pillow...." I restarted. The next line made me almost want to break down crying, knowing it would just send her away. "L-Lay down to sleep....and close your e-eyes.... so when they open....the sun will rise..." I sang quietly. She choked a bit, laughed her small singsong laugh one last time, and smiled at me. "Goodnight Painty" She said, smiling and closing her eyes. I nearly fainted feeling her go limp on me. "Please Lighty.... it's not 2:00 yet." Tears slid down my face silently. But she wouldn't move...nor would she ever again. I grasped what used to be my closest friend, and cried, wanting her back. 

Lightbulb's P.O.V:

I liked Painty's song. I nearly fell asleep until they woke me back up. Then they finished. I always loved how Painty would sing that song. I felt so...tired. "Goodnight Painty" I said, feeling one last twitch and shock course through me until I fell still asleep. I noticed I was back to the black space. But instead of nothing, when I turned around, there was Apple and Marshmellow waiting for me. I instantly apologized to Apple, who forgave me easily. She said it was fine, and we all get hungry some times. We all laughed at that. We left the blackness together. 

Fan's P.O.V:

She's gone. I can't believe it. Lightbulb, the only true source of light and happiness we had here, is gone. Dead by her own hand. How long has she built up to this? How long was she planned this? What did we do? What did I do?! I glance down at Paintbrush, who's crying just like I am. I glance up at Test Tube via viewing window. She's writing in a file, but I can see water reflecting on her glass. Even she regrets this. I'm surprised and don't know how to react. But I do know that me and Paintbrush have to get out of here, for her sake and our own. The song would've been sweet in context...but in reality...it was bittersweet and heartbreaking. Just like where it came from. It's only been five minutes....and I want her back. I don't know how Paintbrush feels....and I'm not sure if I really do want to know. At least Lightbulb died smiling, as she would've wanted. She always hated being unhappy.

Log Date: 1559. I've made a mistake. A terrible, terrible mistake. I should've have left that bottle in the kit. 1 followed suit. I got to hear the ballad of the broken glass. It was as painful sounding as it looked. Cyanide does a lot more to a person than I thought. I'm sure it would've been a lot longer and a lot worse without the painkillers. For once, the victim is still in one piece. Considering she died 'peacefully', that's what I'd hope. Now i've got to write two informatives, and a Death File. The reason I didn't make one for 5-0 is because she didn't last long enough for me to write one. I didn't follow the Science Rules. I got attached to the Subject. I murdered the Subject. Now I feel recoil for my actions. I've been taking notes the whole time of this event. It Is still a behavioral study after all. I loved watching the reactions, hated seeing the actions. I'll run through the audio to see what else I can Find. Hopefully, some evidence of her getting it open herself, or this is clearly foul play. Please, whoever is listening, keep an eye out. Things are changing, and I don't like it. 

(A/N: MY SOUL. IT HURTS, AHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGG. The song used is "Deep in the meadow" from the Hunger Games. More feels, how about that? This chapter killed my soul, but I'm still going To keep writing. IDK out)