Chapter 8: Residual

Everything stopped

Everything stopped. People were stood like statues all around you, crowds near cars, and younger children in arms reach. They all seemed cold; frozen in time.  Citizens of Hilltop watched while Saviors took whatever they entreated from them.

You, Simon, and Gregory paraded inside like it was nothing. Wandering aimlessly through the house, you sought any form of distraction to avoid the inevitable nerves growing in your stomach. You didn't know what to expect or what could happen next.

The first thing being noticed were bottles of alcohol spread across a desk. How filthily and unorganized the jars of chosen poison rested along the fine wood. Paintings hung on the walls. Simon, being the aesthete he is, withdrew his arm from you and observed a piece of art attached above a mantle. He made a pleasant remark towards the artist and their skills, only to bring his attention back to you. Simon joined your side next to the desk and began speaking to Gregory. The two men discussed topics that you were unfamiliar with but listened anyway.

"Last night was quite the scare, huh?" Simon spoke in an orotund voice.

"Y-yes, we weren't expecting-" Gregory stammered.

"That was all us."

"I think it was to show who's boss?"

"Damn right it was. It was us providing an example. We worked our asses off."

Gregory nodded.

"Ya got a nice place. Tall walls. Your people probably don't even remember what the corpses look like or smell like. We were gonna kill them to remind the service we can provide and you cleaned up the mess yourselves. Good on you."

"Well, we must've picked up those skills from your people. In fact, you still saved us. Right?"

"That's a nice way to look at it. I appreciate that. Just wanted to suggest a friendly reminder on whose still in charge." Simon soon changed the subject. "Now, my people are taking half of your rations. And only half. I came to you specifically for another type of ration." he smirked.

"Yes of course! I'll be back."

Gregory fled out of the room to retrieve an unknown object. You stood there in silence, not fully understanding what the two men were talking about since you'd spend most of your days upon the factory floor. As you and Simon were left alone you decided to speak up.

"I want to apologize." you broke the quietness which lingered.

"For...?"

"Not following the rules when you told me to stay in the bedroom."

"Y/N! For fuck's sake that was weeks ago."

"I know. I just haven't had the chance to talk to you. After it happened I felt kinda bad and wanted to say sorry."

Simon took a seat on the desk, keeping your eye contact. "How has the factory been? People treating you nice?"

"It was tough at first, but as time went on my jobs got promoted. Speaking of promotions, I still can't believe Negan actually positioned me for runs with you guys."

"What's that suppose to mean?" teased Simon.

"I just think it's was weird how I'm relatively new and the boss-man already bumped me to a high rank...And I never understood what Dwight meant when he said-"

Gregory stumbled in carrying a crate, interrupting your sentence. "It's all here!" he exhaled.

Simon walked over and looked within the box; a distressed expression to form his features. "Scotch." he sighed. "Hate this stuff. A replacement for ashtrays and window cleaner. But—Negan will love this. I'm gonna say it's from me and not mention you. I really want the headline on this one." he smiled at Gregory.

You watched as the white haired-man continued to wash over in cowardly fear. The crate filled with scotch was quickly yanked from his grasp by Simon as he exited the building. You again follow behind your temporary boss and help settle the rations into the back of the large haul.

"Y/N. This way!" called Simon. Once the box was snugged in its place Simon wanted to show you around, along with making sure Saviors were gathering the proper half of Hilltop's stuff.

While he walked you through the different areas, the two of you shared more conversations; reconnecting the missing weeks in between. A warming glow radiated as you spoke to him. Unlike others at The Sanctuary, Simon really listens to what you have to say. Even though he's a dick most of the time, you were able to somewhat break through and see a man with a heart. It took allotment, but since then you began to slowly trust Simon. He started becoming a friend.

***

Hours passed and the sky turned dark gray. Water droplets fell like they simply cannot think of anything better to do. There was a laziness about them as if they could barely be bothered to conform to the will of gravity. When you held your bare arm out the droplets splatter on your outstretched fingers. Everyone ran for shelter. Citizens of Hilltop enter their homes as Saviors return to their assigned vehicles.

It was a successful day of gathering, to say the least. 'Negan will be damn pleased that's for sure' mentioned someone within the group. Now that everything was back in order and ready to go, Simon cranked the engine. You sat beside him drenched in rainwater along with everyone else. You looked out the window watching Hilltop become smaller in the distance.

The sun had vanished behind the rain clouds, unable to make out what time it was. You waited. Waited to arrive at The Sanctuary just to wrap up in a warm towel, but the rain came down hard on the roof of the truck. You could hear the drumming along the window.

***

Things seemed fine until a crowd of walking corpses lingered in the muddy road. Nearly a mile away, the dead drug their way in you all's direction. Each Walker was battered in heavy mud as if they had fallen and crawled their bodies through the thick ground.

The convoy came to a sudden halt. Vehicles and their tires became stuck in the road as the thunderstorm worsened. Simon had to think quickly while the sun was setting and the corpses drew closer.

His plan of action is to fight as many as possible and try to escape. Somehow or another.