The Truth

The clicking sounds of the elevator descending down the elevator shaft made my whole body shake with fear. If I get caught, I'm dead. If not, I have to deal with Cira. Either way, I'm in trouble. I was curled into a ball behind Cira, next to the 4 small hatch-lings whom were looking at me with mixed expressions.

"Cira, what's going on down here? I heard crashing and roaring." i heard Sorrel ask as the elevator noises came to a stop.

"Nothing. A dragon lost his way and ended up here." Cira replied. There was a long pause before Sorrel spoke again.

"It's alright Katlyn, you can come out." Sorrel said, causing Cira to stand and allow me to walk around her.

"Thank you." I said as i bowed to Cira.

"Oh no. Not so fast little girl. You're not leaving until i get an explanation." She quickly replied.

"What did she do?" Sorrel asked Cira before giving me a suspicious look.

"She brought a dragon in here." Cira replied after a moment of silence.

"You brought Ren here!?" Sorrel ordered me. I quickly averted my gaze from hers as she scolded me.

"I didn't mean to. He was just going to make sure I got here safely." I replied, glancing up to see Cira starring at me with a confused look.

"So you know this 'Ren' to Sorrel?" Cira asked. Sorrel quickly looked to me, then to Cira.

"Yes. He and I are close." She replied before looking to my leg. I glanced down to see one of the hatch-lings at my leg.

"That's Nina." Cira said. She was also watching the young on at my leg. I smiled and dropped to a knee, causing Nina to take a few steps away from me.

"It's OK Nina. I'm not going to hurt you." I whispered to her. She looked at me then to Cira, who nodded toward me. After seeing her mother do this, she looked to me and began to slowly inch herself to my side. Once at my side, she quickly nabbed my shoe and ran away.

"Hey, that's my shoe! bring that back." I ordered her.

"Come get it!" she replied before running to the other hatch-lings.

"Nina, give her back the shoe." Cira stated, causing all of the hatch-lings to look at her in disappointment.

"But momma!" one of the hatch-lings begged.

"No buts. She will play with you when we finish talking." Cira said. Nina unwillingly brought my shoe back to my side.

"Thanks you." I said before rubbing her head. She smiled and walked back to the other hatch-lings.

"So, is what Ren says true Sorrel?" Cira asked.

"Yes. Gertrude wiped all of your memories of him." Sorrel hesitantly replied.

"Why? Why would she do something like that?" Cira asked, her tone was confused, but her expression was sad.

"He used to work for her, but when he suddenly disappeared one day Gertrude grew angry. Since she couldn't take her anger out on him, she went after the closest thing he had........and that was you and your children. She couldn't physically hurt you or your children, so she decided to wipe your memories of him. After doing this, Gertrude put you as the new Egg Keeper. Ren came back a few days after this to get you all out, but couldn't find you. He thought that Gertrude had killed you all and was depressed for months. My visits to see him were the only thing keeping him alive. He would go for weeks without eating, and I sometimes had to force him to even do that. He finally moved on and began living his life again, but he would always talk about you and your children. And then there was Katlyn.........which he says he knows you." Sorrel said, telling the story of the dragon whom had lost so much in his life.