Prologue

I look over the army assembled outside my gate, thousands of people conscripted in an attempt to bring me down. Weaklings. All humans are weaklings. To think that they put their faith into a mere 20,000 peasants, pathetic. I wave my hand and a wall of flame engulfs the front ranks, continuing onwards until the whole grassland is aflame. I snort and turn to go back inside. DANGER! I quickly spin around just in time to catch an arrow aimed at my back. The wooden shaft burns my hand so I drop it. Elder wood! How did humans acquire such a commodity! Redirecting my gaze to the planes I see 5 figures standing amongst the flames. DANGER! Another arrow flies at me and I barely have enough time to side step. Damn it, even humans can be troublesome with the right equipment. Another arrow flies at me, not triggering my danger-sense. I flick this one aside.

THUD

A second arrow hits me in the chest, burning my skin. A second arrow in the shadow of the first! These people, they couldn't be? I place my hand on the shaft and burn the wood into ash before dusting it off my torso. To disguise elder wood and cold iron from my danger-sense, it could be no others. I descend to the charred wasteland below me, dismissing the flames with a flap of my wings.

"Prince of Demons, we have come to slay thee for thy wicked deeds!" Declares the first of the figures. He is a tall, well built man with handsome features and blond hair. He wears full plate armour inscribed with runes and scripture and carries a sword and shield, also inscribed.

What's with the 'thee' and 'thy'? Do all paladins speak like that?

Behind him stand a man and woman, wearing the same equipment and behind them stands two more women. The first of these holds a bow and is dressed in simple leather armour, the second is dressed in white robes and carries a wooden staff with a pulsating white crystal on the end. There is no further doubt in my mind, these are Holy Knights! 3 paladins, a Bow Saint and a priestess, how troublesome. Still, they are but humans.

I walk towards the lead paladin and he walks towards me, he begins to run. I gather flames on my fist and send it flying up to meet his falling hammer.

BANG

A shockwave eminates from the impact and the paladin stumbles back. He goes for another swing but the hammer shatters as he raises it above his head. I smirk and punch him straight through the gut, my flames cooking his insides. How do you like it, huh? Retracting my fist, I drop his body onto the ground. The priestess screams, sheltered brat. Grimacing, the other two paladins begin to chant, white light eminates from the inscriptions on their armour and weapons. Arrow after arrow flies at me in quick succession, barely leaving enough time to dodge. The paladins have stopped chanting and the steady steam of arrows has hecome a trickle. The paladins charge.

Seemingly out of nowhere, I pull out a black sword and meet one of the incoming hammers with it, the second one I catch with my flame-covered left hand. The metal burns my skin and the light from the paladins weakens me. As I am have both hands full, I am unable to catch the arrows that continuously sink into my chest.

THATS IT! I'VE HAD ENOUGH!

I wrap my entire body in black fire and exude a thick aura. The arrows turn to dust and the hammer in my hand is crushed. I push back the other paladin using my sword and pierce her heart with its point. More arrows fly at my but they are turned to ash before they can even touch me. I walk towards the archer and, to her credit, she stands her ground. At least unti I crush her skull. Now for the last paladin. I rush him and backhand him across the face. He is lifted off the ground and travels four times his body length sideways, his burnt face now lifeless.

HAHAHAHAHA!

Inferior humans, they thought they could defeat me! ME! But then, in my moment of victory, a cold feeling spreads over me. I have never felt this before, it is most unpleasant and seems to affect my ability to think. It is not until I look behind me that I realise what it is.

Fear.

Standing behind me is the priestess but her usually beautiful features are twisted in rage.

"YOU!" she screams.

Her hair is standing up on end and her eyes are completely white. A silver aura explodes from her body. Where the light from that aura touches me, the dark flames fizzle and die whilst the flesh is tore away from the bone. It hurts so much, the pain is unbearable. The priestess lifts her finger and speaks in a raspy voice,

"Die"

A flash of white then darkness. A completely empty void. But then comes the pain, the searing pain as my body and soul are exorsised.

'I... refuse to die... at the hands... of hu...mans' are my last thoughts before I die.

A/N This chap is dedicated to AFloatingSpirit who helped me out of a dark place. Here's to you!