An Unwanted Apprentiship

These past five years have been tough, pretending I know nothing of the world and acting delighted whenever the priestess plays with me. Her name is Lily, not that I care, and she dotes on me enough to drive me crazy. But, I'm five now, it's the age where I can finally begin training with the paladin, Michael but he insists I call him Mike or 'brother'. I respect him because he is far stronger than most humans, and has a much greater resolve, he would've made a good minion. But alas, I am now the weak one and so I need to rely on his mentoring to get stronger and restor myself to my former glory.

It's my birthday today, not my actual one, just this body's. To celebrate, everyone in the Church has gathered in the dining hall. All this time I've been practicing my fire magic in secret and I am very sorely tempted to cook everyone in the room. I know that most of the weaker clergy would be burnt alive but the others really would kill me even before I had a chance run. Still, this celebration they're holding could be considered... nice. But these men and women are horrible people so I know better than to fall for their tricks.

The tapping of a fork on glass gets everyone's attention. I almost laugh, they have one proper glass and yet they use it like this? The Church gets a lot of money and besides from materials for Holy Equipment, couldn't they at least get something decent to drink out of. This copper cup taints the flavour of anything in it.

"As you all know, it is my sister's birthday today," it was Lily who decided to call everyone's attention, and yes I did remember her name but I still don't care, "Immy, would you like to stand up?"

I do as she asks and give everyone a forced smile and wave.

"Immy showed promising signs of fire magic when she was born and, with some practise, we believe that she could learn how to use holy fire."

There was applause at this and Lily continued,

"So, starting today we would like the head priest to start training her in this regard. Training from the Head Priest requires a vote of at least seven tenths of the priests so we would ask that all those in favour to raise their hands."

Please don't vote for it. Please don't vote. I don't want to be near this head priest guy, let alone train under him. Please, I'm just a little girl, you can't expect me to do something like that. I want to live an easy life without having to stay in isolation to study a skill that could take decades to awaken.

All at once the gathered clergy members, but one, raised there hands. Damn. I knew how this went, the Church would force responsibilities on those that they deemed able and would raise them completely loyal. It's only because of my past life as the demon prince that I was able to resist their brainwashing so far.

Lily came over to hug me and congratulate me on my apprenticeship. Okay, no need to rub it in. Then, one after another, the other priests came and wished me luck. How did it end up like this? I tried my best to seem like a normal girl, was I too suspicious? No, it can't have been, it must be their desperation for a new hope, from what I've heard, Holy Knights were dropping like flies nowadays. Serves them right.

After the party, I lay down on my bunk and began thinking of how I would endure the hardships of the coming weeks.