Chapter Six: Me and Shawn

Shawn and I don't see each other very often, when we did, it was while he lived with us, but we're around each other in spirit. I'll never forget how he was always looking out for me. My dad had told me that if he died before my wedding, he wanted Shawn to take his place, giving me away, and that became the plan. I agreed, but now...I just hope that he can make it to see me graduate in two more years. I'm not asking for a miracle, I'm just asking for him to not have to die so young. It's quite obvious that the world is not a 'wish-granting factory,' as Augustus Waters would say.

That's a statement that will forever be true, because all the wishing that I've done...has all been for nothing it seems. Nothing has even been for nothing, if that makes sense to you. He wants to ride this out, and I'm happy for him, but a little piece of me resents him. I just want to scream and yell at him that chemo might work this time, but that's the thing with chemo and cancer, the mights and the odds are never in your favor.

We don't know when Shawn is going to "bite it," but my family knows that we have to make the best of it. I only hope that when I write the final chapter on this story...that this almost memoir, stays as an almost memoir. I want the final chapter to be about how he found the cure for cancer and now he is living happily. We can only hope though, right?