Chapter 5

Alistair's cocktail was doing its job. Theresa was getting sicker as each day passed. Dr. Copley was confused. She couldn't understand why the treatments were not working for Theresa and instead making her sicker. All her symptoms pointed to cancer, but the treatments Dr. Copley were not working; just making Theresa sicker. Dr. Copley was worried for the health of the baby. If Theresa didn't get better, the baby would die. Dr. Copley had only recourse to do...tell Theresa to terminate the pregnancy or Theresa would die. As much as she dreaded it, she had to confront Theresa now. Theresa had a scheduled appointment in ten minutes, so Dr. Copley would discuss it with Theresa then.

"Hello, Maxine." Theresa told the receptionist, despite feeling terribly sick.

"Hello, Mrs. Winthrop." Maxine replied back. "The doctor will be with you shortly.'

"Thank you. I'll just sit here and read a magazine." Theresa said.

Theresa picked up "Redbook" magazine and thumbed through it. She tried hard to concentrate on reading an article, but the pain in her chest was unbearable. The only thing that helped was to walk around the waiting room while she waited for Dr. Copley.

After what seemed an eternity, Dr. Copley called Theresa's name and Theresa was escorted back to Dr. Copley's office.

"So, how are you feeling, Theresa?" Dr. Copley asked, worried.

"I'm in real pain and have been since early this morning." Theresa told her.

"Yes, I've been reviewing your case and I don't like the looks of your condition." Dr. Copley began explaining to Theresa. "The results of your latest exam don't look good. You're getting worse each day."

"Is there anything you can do?" Theresa asked.

"I'm afraid not. I'm sorry to have to suggest this, despite how you feel, but I'm afraid your only solution is to end this pregnancy. If you don't you will die." Dr. Copley told her, matter-of-factly.

"No, Dr.! There has to be another alternative?"

"I'm afraid not. I've researched your symptoms and there is nothing more we can do."

"I can't terminate this pregnancy. That is not an option. I will die before I end this pregnancy." Theresa states.

"Well, that is your choice. I do wish you would discuss the options with Ethan."

"It would just hurt Ethan to lose this baby."

"How would it hurt Ethan to lose you?"

"Well, that is a risk I'm just going to have to take. I have faith that fate will win and everything will be okay. Fate has always been on my side. It's never failed me and I'm not about to give up now."

"Well, I can't argue with you. You're mind is obviously made up."

"I'm glad you understand."

As Theresa gets up to put on her coat, she begins to feel woosy and starts to fall, but Dr. Copley catches her before she hits the floor. Theresa doesn't regain consciousness for several minutes, so Dr. Copley has her admitted to the hospital. Then she calls Ethan to inform him that Theresa has been admitted.

As Theresa is resting in her hospital room, Alistair has been monitoring via a chip in Dr. Copley's office. Alistair is pleased to know his cocktail is working well, and Theresa will be dead along with the brat she is carrying. "Screw fate," Alistair thinks to himself, as he pours himself a Martimmy (Alistair always loved Timmy's concoction he named after himself, Martimmy-God, how he missed Timmy!) Theresa would finally be dead and Ethan would be free to remarry Gwen and The Crane family would be back together, the way it should be.