Glass

You swam around in circles in your giant tank. You could hear the crowd just on the other side of the curtain and Mr. Charnum telling them about the freak he had discovered. You hated when he did this. You hated being a public display for people to star at, so he could make a buck.

The curtains opened to reveal you to the crowd. There were gasps of amazement and horror. "I give you," Mr. Charnum said. "The mermaid!"

All of the crowd came closer to the tank. You retreated towards the back where they couldn't see you. "Don't worry," Mr. Charnum said. "She's just being shy. Can I have a volunteer from the audience help me bring her forward?" Every person in the audience raised their hands.

"Let's see now," Mr. Charnum said overlooking the audience. "You, young lad," He pointed to a man in the audience. "Step on up."

"This is amazing," Rapunzel excitedly said keeping her eyes on your tank. "A real mermaid. I had no idea that they actually existed."

"It could be a parlor trick," Eugene said. "You never know with these guys."

"Aww, have a little faith," Rapunzel said. "I'm sure that--look!"

"What?" Eugene asked looking where Rapunzel was pointing.

"Look who it is!" Rapunzel happily said pointing to a familiar alchemist with a blue streak in his black hair.

"Now, let's see," Varian said looking closely at some moss and writing notes. "If the moss reacted that way to the compound, then--"

"Varian!" Rapunzel happily exclaimed picking Varian up and engulfing him in a hug.

"R-Rapunzel?" Varian said surprised. "It's, uh, good to see you." He was starting to have trouble breathing with how tightly Rapunzel was hugging him.

"Hey, kiddo," Eugene said ruffling Varian's hair. Rapunzel set Varian back on his feet, and he fixed his hair and goggles.

"What are you doing here?" Rapunzel asked.

"Just gathering some data about the unfamiliar moss starting to grow around here," Varian said. "I'm trying to figure out if they're a threat or could potentially be a new resource."

"Cool," Rapunzel said. "Oh, there's something you have to see!" Rapunzel grabbed Varian by the arm and rushed him towards your tank. Eugene followed behind her.

"Princess, what--" Varian tried to say.

"Mr. Charnum found a real mermaid!" Rapunzel exclaimed pointing to your tank. You were still in the back, where barely anyone could see you.

"That's ridiculous," Varian said. "Mermaids aren't real. He's probably just pulling some kind of trick."

"No, really," Rapunzel said. "Oh, I know." Rapunzel raised her hand. "Mr. Charnum!"

"Why, your highness," Mr. Charnum said with a bow.

"I think I know who can make the mermaid come forward," Rapunzel said.

"Really?" Mr. Charnum asked. "Who?"

"Varian!" Rapunzel said lifting Varian's arm up.

"What?" Varian said.

"Step right up, my boy," Mr. Charnum said. Rapunzel forced Varian up next to the tank. "Now, stay perfectly still and clam and wait for her to come to you."

"That doesn't sound like the best way to make something come forward," Varian said not looking at the tank.

You took notice of a boy in front of your tank with a blue streak in his hair. You were curious and swam towards him.

The crowd gasped. "What?" Varian asked confused. He looked at the tank to see you right in front of him. He jumped in surprise a little. 

You tilted your head and looked at the boy with curiosity. He seemed to do the same. You pressed your hand against the glass of your tank. He took notice of it and placed his hand over yours. The only thing separating the two of you was the glass. 

You smiled a little before swimming away again. As much as you wanted to continue looking at the boy, you didn't want to be stared at by everyone else. 

"What just happened?" Varian said. 

"She likes you!" Rapunzel squealed shaking Varian by the shoulders. "It's so adorable!"

The entire crowd "awwwed". Varian's cheeks lit up and he started to walk away. 

You swam up to the top of your tank and brought your upper body up out of the water. You leaned on the edge and saw Varian directly below you.

"Hello," you said. Varian looked around a little confused at who had just talked to him. "Up here." He looked up and spotted you. You shyly waved.

"Uh, hi," Varian said with a small wave. 

You looked over at the ladder that lead to the top of your tank. Mr. Charnum would use it to give you food, shine your scales or brush your hair. You pushed it and let it roll down to the ground. "Want to come up?"

Varian slowly nodded and climbed up the ladder. Your faces were only inches away. "I didn't know humans could have blue hair," you said looking at his blue streak."

"Oh," Varian said. "It's not normal. I still don't understand how I got this."

"So you're unique," you said. "You're different from other humans." Varian's cheeks lit up a little.

"I didn't know humans could change color," you said poking his cheeks.

"Oh," Varian said putting one of his hands to his cheek. "It just happens when heat rises to our faces."

"Fascinating," you said. You noticed Varian was staring at your tail. "Do you want to feel it?"

"What?" Varian asked. 

"My tail," you said.

"No, I shouldn't," Varian said. "I'd hate to--" You rolled your eyes and gently took hold of his hand. You slipped off his glove as you brought your tail towards the surface of the water. You placed his hand down. 

"It's fine," you said. "There is nothing wrong with touching a mermaid's tail."

"R-r-right?" Varian said as he cheeks got more red.

You let go of his hand and returned his glove. You stared at him for a moment. "You're cute," you said as you planted a quick kiss to the tip of his nose and went back underwater.

Varian stared at the water in disbelief for a moment or two. "Wh-wh-what just happened?"