Stupid, Stupid, Stupid!

"And then, BAM! Automatic A+!" Hiro said proudly holding the results for his project. "Pretty great, right?" Varian didn't respond. 

"Uh, Varian?" Hiro asked. He started waving his hand in front of Varian's eyes. "Varian? Buddy? Earth to Varian?" Hiro noticed Varian seemed to be staring at something. He turned and looked in the same direction as Varian. He saw you standing  in front of your locker, wearing a short, (f/c) sundress.

"Oh," Hiro said with a smug look as he elbowed Varian. Varian seemed to snap out of it and looked at Hiro. "I see what's going on," Hiro said. 

"What?" Varian asked. 

"You like her," Hiro said with a smirk crossing his arms. 

"What?!" Varian said as his cheeks turned red. "No! No, I don't!"

"Uh huh, sure," Hiro said still giving Varian a knowing smile. 

"I, I don't!" Varian stuttered. "Really."

"Then why are you always staring at her?" Hiro asked. 

"What?" Varian said. "I, I don't stare at her."

"Dude, you stare at her all the time," Hiro said. 

"Wait, really?" Varian asked sounding slightly shocked. 

"Yep," Hiro said. "Your eyes are glued on her 24/7. I'm actually surprised Mal hasn't tried to pummel you."

"I just...think she looks nice," Varian said. 

"Right," Hiro said rolling his eyes. "Why don't just go talk to her?"

"Are you crazy?" Varian said. "Mal would kill me!"

"Relax," Hiro said. "Neither Mal nor any of his goons are here. This might be your only chance to talk to her."

"I don't know," Varian said rubbing the back of his neck and blushing more. 

"Come on," Hiro said. "You might never get another chance at this. I'll even signal to you if I see Mal or any of his gang members."

Varian took a deep breath. "Okay," he said as he slowly started to walk towards you. 

"Go get her, Varian," Hiro said. Varian gulped. 

You sighed as you closed your locker and turned around. You yelped in surprise to come face to face with Varian. "Uh, h-hey, (y/n)," Varian nervously said. 

You anxiously looked around the hall to see if Mal or any of his "friends" were near. "Hey," you shyly said blushing and pushing your hair behind your ear. "It's Varian, right?"

"Uh, yeah," Varian said getting more nervous. "I, uh, was just wondering how you've been doing."

"I'm okay, I guess," you quietly responded. "How about you?"

"Me? Oh, I'm great. Couldn't be better," Varian said followed by a nervous laugh. 

"I, uh..." you said blushing again. "I liked your project for science class."

"Oh? Really?" Varian said blushing more. 

"Yeah," you said looking away shyly as you stroked your index finger over the books in your arms. "The way you were able to restore a dead plant was amazing. I didn't even think that could be possible."

"Anything can be possible," Varian said. "With the power of science!"

You lightly giggled at his excited attitude. He looked at you for a moment before chuckling a bit too. You two were so focused on each other that neither of you noticed Hiro making panicked hand gestures from behind Varian. In a spilt second, Varian felt himself get lifted up and slammed against the lockers. He was met with the face of an enraged Mal. 

"Just what do you think you're doing with my girl?" he said through gritted teeth. 

"Oh, hi, M-Mal," Varian nervously said. "We were just talking."

"Mal," you said gently placing your hand on his arm. He turned his head and looked at you. "He's telling the truth. We were just talking about science class. Nothing else happened." Mal turned his head back to face Varian. 

"If you come within one mile towards my girl, you will regret it," Mal said giving Varian a death glare with his one visible eye. He slammed Varian on the floor, and you winced. Mal's gang laughed at Varian's misfortune. 

"Come on," Mal said wrapping his arms around your waist and walking down the hall. You reluctantly followed and stayed at his side. His goons surrounded the two of you as you walked. You spared a quick glance over your shoulder to see Hiro helping Varian get back on his feet. 

"You know very well what happens when I catch you talking with other guys," Mal said, making you advert your attention back to him. 

"I know," you said looking down at your feet. "I'm sorry."

Mal chuckled slightly as he stopped in his tracks. He turned to face you directly and placed a hand on your cheek. "You know I hate hurting that delicate, pretty little face of yours." You shivered slightly as you felt his fingers slide along your cheek. He slightly leaned down, so he was at more level with you. "Tell you what," he said. "Be a good girl for the rest of the day and you won't be chained down tonight." You shook slightly at his words but nodded anyway. 

"Good girl," he said placing harm back around you and continuing towards your next class. 

Mal didn't let you out of his sight for the rest of the day. You were barley able to go a minute without his hands on you in some way. He always had his arm around you as you walked through the halls. His hand would always be on yours throughout class. He even made you sit on his lap during lunch. The whole time, you kept taking quick looks at Varian. You wished you could be with him instead of Mal. You wished you could escape this awful prison of a life you were trapped in. You wished you could be with someone that actually loved you. 

The day eventually came to an end, and, like every day, you followed Mal and his gang out to the parking lot where their motorcycles were. Without noticing, your dropped your house keys. Varian saw and quickly picked them up and went after you. 

"(Y/n)," Varian called to you from behind, making you freeze. You hesitantly turned around. 

"You dropped your keys," Varian said handing them to you. You slightly shook as you knew Mal's eyes were on you. 

"Stay away," you suddenly said. 

"What?" Varian said confused. 

"Stay away from me, Varian," you said slowly backing away. 

"(Y/n), what are you-" Varian tried to asked. 

"Just stay away from me!" you exclaimed turning on your heel and running over to Mal. He sent a malicious smirk Varian's way as you climbed on the back of his motorcycle and wrapped your arms around him from behind. 

"Let's go, boys," Mal said as they all took off. You looked over your shoulder to see Varian looking confused and hurt. 

"I'm sorry," you quietly said so no one could hear it but you. A single tear fell from your eye as Varian got smaller and smaller in the distance.