Broke Up

You struggled as you carried the several bags of groceries. Your parents had sent you to Corona to do the shopping today, and you were exhausted. You couldn't wait to get home and just lay down.

You yelped out in surprise when you felt something land on your head. You started to lose balance and stumble all over the place. You finally tripped and fell with your groceries scattering all over the ground.

You picked yourself up with a it of a groan. You weren't happy when you saw what was on your head. "Oh, it's you," you said with venom in your tone as you took the raccoon off of your head. "What are you doing here? Spying on me to give information to your master?" You sighed and put the raccoon down as you started to pick up your groceries. "He's become such a creep. He basically stalks me all the time. Now, he'll even send his animal companions to do his dirty work."

"Hey, (y/n)," you heard a familiar voice say.

"Oh no," you said under your breath.

"How's it going?" Varian asked walking up to you. "It's great that you're finally back."

"Varian, I was gone for less than an hour," you said annoyed as you continued to pick up the groceries.

"That long?" Varian asked. "Might as well have been centuries."

"Varian, we are not going over this again," you said.

"What?" Varian asked trying to sound innocent.

"We broke up," you said standing up. "I'm not your girlfriend anymore." You continued on your way, but you could tell Varian was following close behind you.

"Come on," Varian said catching up to you. "Why can't things be the way they were? You and I were inseparable. We'd hold hand all day and cuddle at night."

"Those days are over," you said.

"Why not give it another chance?" Varian nervously asked.

"I've given you plenty of chances," you said. "You're too possessive over me. You clearly don't know when to quit. You continue to endanger everyone with your experiments. The list goes on."

"Wait," Varian said. "Those aren't your words."

"What are you talking about?" you said not looking at him. "Of course they're mine."

"No," Varian said. "Those are your parents words."

"I don't know what you're talking about," you said quickening your pace.

"Your parents told you to break up with me, didn't they?" Varian said.

"No," you said. "It was a decision I made by myself. We weren't working, so I ended it."

"You're lying," Varian calmly said as he continued to follow you.

"Look, just, leave me alone," you said approaching the front door of your home.

"(Y/n), please," Varian said grabbing your wrist. "Tell me the truth. What do you think about this."

"I've already told you," you said.

"Please, stop lying," Varian said stepping in front of you.

"You're just wasting your time," you said trying to get around him.

"(Y/n)," Varian said stopping you I your tracks and taking the groceries out of your arms. "Please." He held both of your hands with his own. "Tell me the truth. Do you love me?"

You tightly shut your eyes and tried to fight it. You tried to fight the 'yes' that was trying to come out of your mouth. You couldn't disobey your parents, especially now.

"Varian, I--" you tried to say.

"(Y/n)," you both suddenly heard someone say. You both looked at the opened front door of your home revealing a well- dress boy your age. "There you are, sugar. I was worried you'd be late. Come on in, your parents are waiting."

"I'll just be a minute," you said not looking at him.

"'Kay, babe," he said with a sly smile and going back inside.

"(Y/n)?" Varian said looking at you.

You couldn't handle the emotions you kept in anymore. You wrapped your arms tightly around Varian and let a few tears fall. You felt him wrap his arms around you and nuzzle his head against yours.

"I didn't want to," you said. "Mom and Dad, they--" You stopped mid-sentence as you felt Varian plant a kiss on your forehead.

"You do love me, don't you?" Varian said.

"Yes," you whispered out as you held him tighter.

"Who was that?" Varian asked.

"Nathaniel," you said. "My betrothed."

"What?" Varian said in great shock.

"My mom and dad arranged for me and him to be married when we come of age," you said. "I don't love him. He just kisses and touches me, no matter how many times I ask him not to, my parents just want his family's money."

"It's okay," Varian said holding you close and combing his fingers through your hair. "We can stop this."

"How?" you asked looking in his eyes.

"Only you can decide who you'll love and marry," Varian said. He slowly leaned in, and you did the same. Your lips touched, and you felt the wonder out feeling you had been missing for so long.

"You could always just move in with me," Varian said once the two of you pulled apart.

"Don't get ahead of yourself," said with a chuckle. You took hold of his hand. "But for now, I just want you by my side. I hope my parents don't mind another dinner guest." Varian smiled and squeezed your hand and you two walked through the front door.

That night was wonderful for you. Varian kept Nathaniel away from you at all times. He barely left your side through the night. Your parents sure weren't happy about any of it, but you didn't care. To finish off, you and Varian got to cuddle in your bed all night. It was needless to say that you were back together.