Over The Moon

You shook slightly as you entered the Dark Kingdom. You couldn't help it. This place just always scared you so much. It was completely devoid of life and had those giant, sharp rocks everywhere. You wouldn't say you came from the most beautiful kingdom, but still wasn't as scary as this one.

You slightly shuddered at the thought that you might spend the rest of your life here. You were only a few days away from being eligible for marriage. You had already been arranged to marry the prince of the Dark Kingdom. Seeing how the wedding wasn't too far off at this point, your parents thought it would be a good idea for you to see your new home and meet your fiancé. 

The carriage came to a stop. You slowly stepped out and looked at the castle. It had the largest of the rocks surrounding it. It was made of the darkest stone you had ever seen. It was built in such a manner that it seemed to stretch towards the sky forever. 

"(Y/n)," your mother said breaking you from your thoughts. "Come along now." You all walked through the giant gates and into the castle.

After a while of walking through dark halls lit with blue torches, you arrived at the throne room. There was a man and a boy sitting on two thrones. They both were dressed in black and had dark crowns on their heads. You knew it was the king and the prince. Standing next to the king was a woman with white hair, dressed with fur, and had red war paint covering half of her face. Next to the prince was a burly man in black armor with bags under his eyes that made him look like he hadn't slept in years. 

"King Edmond," your father said with a small bow.

"King (f/n), Queen (m/n)," Edmond acknowledged. "It's good to see your arrival."

"Oh, yes," your mother said putting her hands on your shoulders. "This merger is of great importance. We hope our (y/n) shall meet your son's...needs." 

You looked over at the prince. You weren't sure why, but he slightly scared you. His bangs hung over his eyes, casting a shadow that his half of his face. From what you could actually see of him, you could tell he had a stone-faced expression unfazed by anything happening. 

"Varian," you heard Edmond say. "Go on, then."

You watched as Varian slowly stood up from his throne and approached you. Your mother gave you a slight shove forward. You now stood in front of him, separated by only a foot or two. 

"Greetings, Prince Varian," you said with a slight curtsy. "I am Princess (y/n)."

"Charmed," Varian simply said gently taking hold of your hand and placing a kiss on the mack of it. Despite his cold exterior, his lips felt warm on your skin. You felt the warm sensation travel through you like magic. You stared at him for a moment. It wasn't until now that you noticed blue streak in his black hair. Something about it felt strange yet special to you.

"Son," Edmond said pulling you back to reality. "Kindly lead Princess (y/n) to her chambers, so I may speak with her parents alone."

"Yes, sir," Varian said in a monotone voice. "Follow me." He turned and started to walk down a hall. You were hesitant for a moment before following them.

"Perhaps, being alone, they'll be more likely to give in," Edmond said as he watched you leave. 

You followed closely behind Varian and looked at your surroundings. There were black suits of armor against the walls and portraits of previous rulers. 

You heard a strange squeaking sound and quickly ducked down as a swarm of bats flew at you and Varian. Varian remained unfazed and pointed out his index finger. A bat held onto his finger and hung there. Varian pulled out a small fruit and gave it to the bat. It scarfed it up in a mere second and flew away.

"It is past their feeding time," Varian said making you look up at him. You saw he was offering you his hand to help you up. You took hold of it, and he lifted you up to your feet. "There is no need to fear the dark." He turned and continued on as you followed behind him.

You started to see portraits of King Edmund, but you found it strange that there were barely any of Varian except for his current age. "Why are there no portraits of you with your father?" you asked.

"He's not my father," Varian said coldly.

"What?" you said confused. 

Varian opened a door to a luxurious bedroom. "These will be your chambers for now," he said dropping the subject completely.

"But you-" you tried to say.

"I must leave you now," Varian said. "They'll start to wonder where I am." He turned and disappeared down the dark hall.

You kept your eyes glued on him until he disappeared. Something about him seemed different to you, but you couldn't tell what. You walked into your chambers, closing the door, and sitting on your bed. You brushed your thumb over the back of your hand where Varian had kissed you. It still felt strangely warm, like you could still fell his lips on your hand. You felt your cheeks slightly warm up. A small smile crept up your face.