(06)

Content Warnings: descriptions of animal death and mentions of spousal death.

++

It was the decision to go to Tortuga in the first place, that would be the catalyst which led to his death. The water was still around her feet. The selkies were floating peacefully, their breathing lulled as they slept. If only she'd kept her mouth shut, he'd still be with her.

She pulled a knife from her pocket and advanced towards the first one. It was covered in rust, but it was still sharp; she'd refined the blade just hours before. She thought about how much it would hurt them, and smiled maliciously.

++

When she was done the water was the colour of blood and the selkie corpses were beginning to float to the surface. She'd have to do something about that, control their half transgressed bodies. Rocks and rope. That's what she needed.

Reaching up she broke off a few sizeable chunks of the cave and placed them at her boot-clad feet. The she uncoiled the rope that was attached to her waist and roped it around the rock chunk that was closest to her. This was then attached to the nearest body and watched it float to the bottom of the ocean.

Once all the bodies had sunk she walked back to her boat, got in and began to row away from the scene of her crime. When she was far enough away (and the sun was in the right spot) she began to count the dark shapes of the selkie corpses. One, two, three, four and....five.

No. One had gotten away from her. Angry, Anne stood up in the bottom of her boat and screamed with rage.

The boat rocked abruptly, startling Anne out of her reminiscing.

'We've hit rock debris ma'am. Not enough to puncture 'er hull, but enough to shake her.'

Anne ran over to the side of the boat. There was a limp seal skin floating in the middle of the rock debris that her crewman had mentioned. Anne's face creased into a small smile.

'Grab a net and pull this thing out of the water! If I see any of you lot not helping him, then you'll be punished - and you don't want that, do you?' Anne ordered.

Her crew rushed into action as she said this and she was able to step back an get out of their way.

Soon, I will have you soon, little selkie.

++

This chapter was first posted on the 9th of May 2018, edited initially on the 7th of October 2020 and edited again on the 3rd of October 2021.