distraught feelings

You swing around, shoving your knife to the neck of the person behind you. Because you've been paranoid easily, anything made you jump. You narrowed your eyes, expecting a creep, or even a zombie. Instead, it was a slightly taller, Norwegian boy, Tord.

"Woah, it's just me, Tord." he said putting his hands up. Immediately you took away the knife.

"Sorry, I'm just a bit jumpy..." you explain rubbing the back of your neck. However, you still clench the knife.

"Yeah, I don't blame you. In fact, I was just coming out to see if you were okay. I know I stormed out of the nurse's office..." you looked up at him peculiarly. "...and that was wrong of me." Tord confessed looking to the ground. You suspected he wasn't used to apologizing. "But seriously, are you alright?" Tord remarked, searching you for any injuries.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm fine...just a bit shaken." you admit. Tord sighs with relief. Why was he so concerned? You have to remind yourself that some people are just nice like this. However, something told you Tord wasn't like this with everyone.

"We should probably head home." Tord suggests. Nodding your head, you both start off down the side walk.

Not much was said, nothing more than the occasional glances from Tord. It wasn't awkward, in fact, the time you spent walking with him was quite peaceful. The houses began to look familiar, and Tord's small shack-looking house was near. Before he turned to dis-part from you. Tord muttered a, "See you later." and smiled, flashing a white grin.

{ Time Skip }

{ Next Day }

Your backpack was even heavier than yesterday. Due to the traumatizing events you experienced, you carried more supplies. It pulled down on your shoulders, making them ache as you walked down the sidewalk.

Before you had left, you had checked the TV channels once again. Not a single station was up, just countless screens of fuzz and "No signal." Not only that, but your father had not returned home. Your mother would not tell you why no matter how hard you pleaded. You feared he had been taken by those viscous creatures... However, your real concern was in your mother. She was obviously at distress, but did not cry like she had usually done. Instead, she had locked herself in her bedroom for hours on end. She was still there in the morning.

You snap back to reality, taking in a big breath trying to see ahead and not look back on yesterday's memories. A familiar pair of footsteps approached you from across the street; it was Edd.

"Hi!" he smiled. You liked Edd, you liked how he pretended everything was fine like you were living a normal life.

"Hey, Edd." you reply. You weakly smile at him. You were happy, but it just wasn't the same... As if something in the back of your brain was telling you to be angry at the world, even depressed about your situations. Why wouldn't you? There was a good amount of chance that you could die along with everyone you ever cared about. Your other friends had already left, some without even saying goodbye. You were almost killed and witnessed a "murder," and now your dad was missing. Could it get worse? You suspected so.

"So, Tom, Matt, Tord, and I were going to go to the park after school today. We wanted to if you wanted to come to." Edd looked at you expectantly. You hadn't realized you had become "friends" with the boys- especially after just one day... "We could even leave school earlier, I'm sure nothing is planned today." You stared ahead, thinking momentarily.