Chapter 2- Stephan's Regret

Stephan

Her eyes look up at me in awe, the reddish brown depths warm with attraction and love. But the only thing I feel for her at the moment is disappointment...and disgust.

I've been paired with a hybrid...a vampire hybrid...how unfortunate.

~What are you talking about kid? She is our mate, our Luna!~

I ignore my wolf as I gaze down at the warrior I remember is Scarlett Thomas, her jet black hair and ivory skin clearly a product of her fathers genetics...as attractive as she is, it's a shame she's not cut out to be my Luna.

"Mate." She whispers, a purr like sound to her voice.

Such a shame indeed.

"I'm so sorry little girl, but unfortunately you are mistaken."

Her eyes widen in surprise, confusion furrows her brows.

~Don't you dare!!!~ my wolf growls furiously, but I ignore him again.

"What do you mean Stephan?"

I try to ignore how the way my name sounds on her tongue makes me shiver, and keep my expression blank.

"I, Alpha Stephan Andrews of Shadow Mist, reject you as my mate."

My wolfs furious growl rings loudly as the heartache rips through Scarlett's eyes. I have to make this quick, otherwise there will be trouble.

"No..." her voice whispers sadly.

"And furthermore, as of now, you are no longer a member of Shadow Mist."

I can feel every tie that binds us fall away, and the emptiness of her eyes makes my wolf even angrier.

"Stephan...please..." she begs.

"Get this rogue off my territory immediately. And keep in mind little one, coming back will be your death."

Two warriors grab her by the arms and drag her out of my office, her voice crying out for me as it slowly fades away. I close the office doors and sigh, somewhat exhausted by the whole ordeal.

~You stupid fool! What were you thinking? That was our mate!!!~

I cut off my wolfs voice from my thoughts, sitting down in my chair heavily. Hopefully, I'll never have to concern myself with her again...

The rogue life is a dangerous one after all.

~~~~~~

It's been three years since that day...and frankly, I don't know what the hell I was thinking.

It didn't happen overnight, not in the slightest, but over the course of that first year I found myself slowly and gradually missing her presence in the small ways.

Seeing her with the warriors training, coming to my office to deliver messages and escort visitors, running into each other as we walked through the pack house.....

Then suddenly, it developed into dreaming about her pained eyes, almost begging for me to tell her why I threw her away...and I never knew what to tell her before I woke up.

Then it became spending time in the room she used to live in, and keeping it empty no matter what. I started getting furious when it started to lose her scent, but after it became void of it, I started to just sit in there and do nothing.

That was followed by just the bitterness, not being able to look at any mated pair without thinking about what I threw away. And those were the moments I thought my wolf would at least pipe up with a harsh statement about how it was my fault we weren't together, that if it wasn't for my selfish and narrow minded actions...me and Scarlett would be happy...