Chapter 10- It's Complicated

Scarlett

Coming down the stairs the next morning, well, technically it's 12: 30 now, I follow the smell of coffee and fried eggs to the kitchen, part of my brain considering having a coffee machine put in my office since I spend so much time in there. My meeting with Phoebe was quick, and I could tell by the 15 year olds reaction that she found my outfit funny.

Frankly, after getting a good nights sleep for the first time in a while, I didn't feel like dressing up today, so I just threw on an old oversized t-shirt and a pair of denim shorts. But it wasn't the fact that the black shirt nearly covered up my shorts, or that my pink socks have heart eye emojis on them, or even the sight of my hair thrown up in the messiest bun imaginable that had her fighting laughter. It was the message on my shirt.

"I'm awake. If you want bright eyed and bushy tailed, catch a fucking squirrel."

It's pretty much my mood for today so far, even though I did attempt to fix my hair a little and did put on some black lipstick, it's still quite obvious to anyone that I'm not to be trifled with this morning...especially over trivial crap.

Hitting the bottom of the stairs, I run into Eva coming in the front door with a puzzled expression on her face.

"Problems?" I ask curiously, and she pops her head up in surprise before going back to confusion once more.

"No...yeah...shit, it's too complicated." She stammers out, seeming to struggle for words.

"Life usually is." I agree, distractedly turning towards the kitchen again as my stomach growls with hunger.

"Wait! Scarlett, I have a question about fangs." She blurts out, and I turn to face her with slight surprise.

"Ask away." I reply, my curiosity peaked because of hers.

"Do they only descend when you need to feed or feel threatened?" She asks.

"There are many situations where they can come down." I answer, keeping it vague so I can probe a little.

"Cryptic much?" She jokes, but it's clear from her serious expression that she wants a more specific answer.

"Is there a specific event that has caused you to ask this question?" I tease a little, having a good guess as to why she's asking.

"Well sometimes when Julian and I are talking or joking around I notice that his fangs have come out. I am really worried that I've said something wrong to make him mad. Honestly, at times, it is kind of scary because I don't have any experience with being around vampires. So I wanted to ask...have I offended him in any way?" She tumbles out, and I can't suppress my laughter.

"No I doubt it." I chuckle, "Fangs can come out for feeding, but also when we feel strong emotions like fear and excitement."

"Excitement?" She questions, her head tilted a little.

"Yes the fangs can come down when the male is excited - well a female, too. It's a perfectly normal response." I explain, my mouth twitching upwards.

"Excited?" She mumbles, but the pink flush of her cheeks makes it obvious she knows exactly what it means. She can't pretend around me.

"Seriously Eva? Like I don't know what goes on here." I smirk, giving her a wink before I continue my quest to the kitchen for my brunch.

Reaching the kitchen, I see Julian standing at the counter with his back to me, completely oblivious because of the earphones in his ears.

Oh, I can't pass this up.