Chapter 29- Recovery

The trip to Alpha Forst's location on the state line of Missouri and Illinois was quiet, nobody really knowing what to say to each other. Raphael kept my hand in his the entire way, his thumb rubbing soothing circles across the back of it...

Only he knows just how close I am to unraveling...

I have to keep myself together for just a little longer, to keep up the appearance. My pack, and everyone else needs to see me as the powerful alpha I always am...enough to brush off an attempted takeover like it was nothing, and deal with the horrid individual that dared to harm our dearest friend and ally with the appropriate savagery...

But on the inside, I'm exhausted...I brushed with death, faced a powerful enemy that tried to take away my home....and now, I'm about to see the girl I've come to call my friend in a awful state...when it was my job to protect her in the first place...

I'm barely holding it in...but I need to.

"Rosa...we're here..." Raph whispers, and I readjust my expression before exiting the car. Just a little longer...

"Scarlett, it's been a long time." Forst greets, and I crack a smile at my old friend.

"It has, its good to see you again...though I wish it was under different circumstances..." I reply, and he nods.

"So do I, Scarlett...believe me." He murmurs.

"Alpha Forst, this is my mate, Raphael." I introduce, and they briefly shake hands.

"Pleasure to meet you, Alpha Raphael...it's good to see Scarlett has finally found a mate."

"Same here, any friend of hers is a friend of mine." Raphael replies.

"Where's Eva located?" I ask, and he points down the hall.

"Just down the hall to the right, she's still asleep for now...but it shouldn't be too long before she wakes up. We didn't really have an adequate hospital for her on our territory, so we had to bring her to the local one." He states, even though he doesn't have to explain to me why, his pack still doesn't have any real territory of their own, so they had to do the best they could. The territory they're on is abandoned neutral territory, something my pack had to make do with as well before I could afford to move to Louisiana and buy my own land. Vakabon just doesn't have the funds to buy any land right now...though there may be a solution...

"Is her mate on his way?" He asks, and I nod.

"Yes, he should be here shortly, he fell behind us a little and had to take a later flight." I explain. "Her parents are coming soon as well, they've been worried sick."

"I understand, and we're holding the kidnapper at our adopted prison...the place is old, but it still has effective silver chains. I'm sure you will be seeing him as well..." He replies.

"Any idea who he is?" I ask, and he shakes his head.

"No, he refuses to speak to anyone....but, he has your packs crest tattooed on his back..." He says, and my blood boils as I realize that I was right...that it was one of my own...damn it!

"He'll speak to me, I guarantee it." I growl out, and Forst visibly flinches...dear friend or not, he remembers my fury well.

"I'll talk with you further after seeing Eva...and my traitorous pack member who hurt her. I have something important I want to talk to you about." I say, and he nods before I walk towards Eva's room. The second I enter it, I halt in my tracks...a little taken off guard.

Eva lays in the bed, her body covered in bandages and hooked to all kinds of tubes and wires...still looking like she's in immense pain despite being unconscious...