Chapter three.

Author Note; If it works the photo is of Alex when he gets out of prison. If the photo doesn't work I apologize sometimes they're taken down later. 

Belle paced back and forth in front of the large window in Maggie's small living room, Maggie had left a few hours ago to go and get Alex.

"Aunt B, is something wrong?" Seth asked from the couch.

She turned to look at the small boy sitting on the couch, Seth was only four years old but already was the spitting image of his mother.

"No sweetie, everything is fine," Belle said crossing the floor to sit next to him.

"I'm out of juice," He said holding up his superman sippy cup.

She smiled taking the cup from his small hands and heading to the kitchen, she opened the fridge and poured him a generous amount of apple juice before returning to him.

"Where did mommy go?" He asked taking his juice.

"To pick up your uncle Alex, did she tell you about him?"

"Yes, she said he went away for awhile."

"He did and now...he's coming home."

"Do I have to meet him?" He asked glancing up at her.

"Well yeah, he probably can't wait to meet you."

"What if he doesn't like me?" He asked.

"I bet...that he loves you. I bet he can not wait to play with you." She said, running her fingers through his soft, blonde hair.

He seemed to accept her answer turning his attention to the television and happily drinking his refilled juice.

The phone rang in the kitchen and Belle hurried to answer it, glancing at Olivia who was asleep in her playpen on her way past.

"Hello?"

"Belle, it's Maggie."

"Hey...how...how is he?" Belle asked, hating herself for asking.

"He's...different," Maggie admitted softly.

"Good different or bad different?" Belle asked.

"Damaged different."

Belle closed her eyes leaning against the wall, she felt guilty. Alex has his flaws when they were together but he was a good man, he was a gentleman and she hated to think that he was gone.

"Look, I know I promised that you wouldn't have to see him but...he doesn't have anywhere else to go," Maggie said softly.

"So you're bringing him here," Belle guessed.

"Just for tonight, it's too late to get a hotel."

"It's fine, this is your home," Belle said.

"I know but I promised you wouldn't have to see him."

"We're both adults Maggie...just...don't worry about it."

"Okay, how are my kids?" Maggie asked.

"They're good."

"Okay, we'll be there soon. You're the best Belle."

"Thanks...Maggie?" Belle gripped the phone.

"Yes?"

"Has...has he asked about me...at all?" Belle asked.

"No...I'm sorry Belle."

"It's fine, it's been a long time. Drive safe."

"I will, we'll be home soon."

Maggie hung up and so did Belle, turning to look into the living room at Seth and Olivia. She loved them like they were her own and she had made sure to do everything in her power to make up for their absent uncle but now she couldn't see a future with her and Alex both in their lives.

Alex had obviously learned to resent her while he was in prison, his parents barely tolerated her. Only Maggie had continued to love and support her and Belle had no right to make Maggie give up her brother.

She walked into the living room, lifting Seth onto her lap and wrapping them both in a blanket. She blinked back tears as he snuggled close, Alex had never answered her calls, her letters or her visits and now it would seem had forgotten her completely.

"What's wrong?" Seth asked, tipping his head back to stare up at her.

"Nothing little man."

"Is mom coming soon?"

"Yeah, she's coming."

He smiled turning back to the television and Belle dropped a kiss on his head, wiping away a stray tear.

"Who's that?" She asked as a character walked on screen.

As he rambled on about his tv-show Belle struggled to let go of what few feelings still remained for Alex.

About two hours later she finished tucking Seth into his bed just as Maggie's car pulled into the driveway. She glanced out the window but didn't see Alex.

She was coming down the stairs when Maggie stepped into the living room.

"Both the kids are in bed," Belle said.

"Thank you, I appreciate it."

"No problem, call me tomorrow?" Belle asked, sliding on her coat and grabbing her purse.

"Yeah." Maggie agreed softly.

Belle hurried through the kitchen with every intention of sneaking out the back door. Maggie's car was out front so it only made sense Alex would enter through the front. As she opened the back door she heard Maggie head upstairs.

She hurried down the stairs and rounded the house walking through the dark yard and digging in her purse for her keys when she slammed into a hard body. Her purse fell to the ground contents spilling out and had it not been for a strong arm catching her would have fallen herself.

Alex's arm gripped her tightly around her waist, her own hands gripping his arms out of reflex. She didn't move at first but then she pushed away and finally looked up at him.

He looked different, older of course but no less good looking. His hair was long and down to his shoulders, he had a full beard and he was wider in the shoulders.

"Belle..."Her name rolled softly off his tongue and broke her stare.

She dropped to her knees gathering her items and shoving them in her purse, using one hand to nervously shove her thick hair behind her ear. Tears blinding her vision as a million little memories flooded her sense.

He hesitated a minute then knelt picking up her keys, wallet and phone he handed them to her. She froze staring at his hand and her items, for a minute she was back in school.

For a minute he was her teacher again helping her pick up her scattered books after Missy tripped her. She shook the thought away they weren't those people anymore.

She grabbed the items roughly from his hand shoving them in her purse and standing, he stood too.

She looked at him for a second she had so many questions for him so much to say but then she remembered that he shut her out and he didn't care, maybe he never did.

She brushed past him without a word, walking through the yard to her car. She could feel his eyes on her as she walked away but she forced herself not to look back at him.

She climbed in her car and drove away, she drove three blocks before she remembered how to breathe again.