Chapter Seven.

The police led Belle, Alex and his parents into a small white room that was uncomfortable and cold. Belle took a chair in the corner crossing her arms across her chest and trying to calm down.

The police also sent an officer to fetch Maggies kids and bring them to the station.

"What are we going to tell them?" Alex's mom sobbed.

"The baby won't even notice." her father replied.

"She's going to grow up without a mother," His mother said bursting into sobs.

"We'll figure it out, they'll be okay. We can do it," His father assured her.

"So you're taking them?" Alex asked.

"Of course we are, they're our grandchildren." His father said.

Alex gave a small nod then moved to sit in the chair next to Belle, she glanced briefly at him then turned away. She had let him hold her in the lobby until the police insisted they move, then he slowly released her and she came to her senses about what she was doing. Her engagement ring was sparkling in the white lights.

"Belle...."His deep voice spoke softly beside her.

Before he could say another word the door swung open and Seth bounced inside.

"Aunt Belle! They let me ride in the police car and they blew the siren and everything!" he cried rushing to her.

"Oh, that's...nice Seth." She forced a smile as he reached her.

"Why are you crying?" He asked.

"Oh, uhm...well..."

"Hey Sport, come here," Alex said lifting him onto his lap.

A second cop entered handing Olivia over to Belle, who hesitated before taking the infant.

"Well folks, I don't think there's anything else to be done here. I suggest you decide who is taking the kids and head home." The cop said from the doorway.

"We're taking them," Alex's father said.

"No! I don't want to go with you! I want my mom!" Seth cried.

"Hey, listen, little man...I have got to talk to you, man to man." Alex said.

"Okay."

"Sometimes....sometimes mommies and daddies have to go away," Alex said gently.

"Can I go?"

"No...sometimes we don't get to go along...and it's okay to be sad and to cry."

"Are they coming back?" Seth asked, his lower lip was trembling and he had teary eyes.

"No, buddy they're not but...they loved you very very much and they will always love you."

"But..but..I don't want them to go away," Seth said a tear rolling down his cheek.

"I know but they have to and it's okay to be sad, it's okay to cry too," Alex said gently.

Seth started to just that, his little eyes began to spill over with tears as he burst into sobs. Alex wasted no time in pulling him close into a tight hug, his own eyes filling with tears.

He glanced over Seths small, shaking shoulder to Belle who was rocking Olivia and fighting back her own tears. The look in his eyes was heartbreaking as he held his tiny nephew that he barely knew and mourned the sister that he loved so dearly.

"Alex, come on we have things to take care of." His father said moving forward.

His mother gently reached for the baby that Belle was holding and Belle realized how hard it was to let go of the tiny piece of Maggie.