Chapter Twenty Four

Alex decided when he woke up that morning it would be easier for  both of them if he just slipped out. Left before she woke and he was forced to say goodbye.

If she woke up and he was there he wasnt sure he had the strength to leave again, despite the risk of being caught. If she begged him to stay he would. 

So he slipped from the bee collecting his clothes one article at a time and tip toed from the bedroom to the kitchen where he left his shoes and his jacket. Pulling the door closed quietly behind him he left the small house in the early morning hours.

He had parked his car a few blocks down hoping to prevent his father from driving by and seeing him, when he reached if he saw the parking ticket stuck to the windshield. He shoved the offending pink piece of paper in his pocket.

As he pulled out onto the road his gas light came on and he sighed. It was seven in the morning, the sky cloudy and overcast, the world cool and grey. Most people weren't even starting the day yet and he was up, throwing away the best part of his life.

A few blocks away when the culdesac ended and the world began he saw a small gas station and he pulled in parking his car at the pump closest the door. He decided he would go to his cabin a few days rather than home and he would need coffee for the drive.

As he walked in the door he was vaguely aware of the clerk staring at him, he ignored it as he walked to the coffee machine and filled a large paper cup with black coffee.

When he reached the counter the woman stood a little straighter pushing nervously at her blonde pixie cut hair.

"Can I get forty dollars on pump one?" He asked digging in his wallet for the cash.

"Sure," as she punched in the numbers on the register he glanced at her.

The red button up shirt hung on her frame, her long slender arms were covered in tattoos with shaky lines and faded colors. Her long nails weren't professional but clearly done by someone who still knew what they were doing.
Her ears were pierced with dainty pearl earring and her make up was over done, trying to hide her weathered face and fatigue in her eyes but he couldn't place a strange familiarity.

"Here you go......Alex," she said.

He frowned at the use of his name then his eyes fell on a cheap plastic name tag pinned on her chest.

MISSY

"Missy," he said on a sigh.

Missy, Belles high school tormentor. She had set eyes on Alex immediately and wasnt the kind of girl used to hearing no.
Cheerleader, blonde, rich and spoiled. She got her grades on her back instead of her brains and she made Belles life a misery.

"I didn't think you'd recognize me," she said with a small flirty smile.

"I almost didn't."

"Yeah, I guess it's been awhile. I'd recognize you anywhere though."

"Yeah, it has been awhile."

"I was real sorry to hear about your sister, what was her name? Marge?" She asked.

"Maggie," he said taking a sip of his coffee.

"That's right, oh and her poor children. I hope they're in good hands." She gushed.

He wasnt a stupid man he knew there wasnt a maternal bone in Missys body and she didn't give a damn about his sister. So, he gave her a reply he knew would sting.

"They're in great hands, they're with Bellamy Whitley. You remember her from English don't you?"

He saw her clench her jaw and her eyes sharpen for a second then she pasted on a smile.

"Of course I do, dear Belle. What's she up to now? Stripping like her stepmom I'm guessing."

"No, she is a teacher got herself a beautiful house and a real nice man. What about you? How are you? Married I see." He said nodding at the cheap imitation diamond on her finger.

"Well....separated actually but...I never needed a man." She said.

"Sorry to hear that."

"Suddenly I'm not sorry about it," she said reaching out and running her hand down his chest.

"Missy....."

"You've always been the love of my life. I was heartbroken when you went away, I waited for the day I'd see you again." She said quickly.

"I'm flattered, really but....."

"I get off in about forty five minutes why don't you stick around and you can drive me home and maybe.....I can help you get off too."

"I can't." He said stepping back from her reach her hands falling to the counter.

"You can't just leave like this."

"Yes I can, it was good seeing you," he started for the door and she called out.

"You're no better than me, not anymore. Maybe you belonged in that prison." She yelled.

"Maybe...maybe not but I know one thing," he said turning back.

"What's that?"

"I don6t know where I belong but you.....you are exactly where you belong."

She crossed her arms over her nonexistant breasts and he saw the bruises and the needle tracks.

"Goodbye, Missy."

He left the shop to her yelling that she was too good for him and always was. He got his gas and got on the road anxious to put miles on between him and Belle before he changed his mind.