Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Rogue changed out of her beautiful dress as soon as she got back to her suite, tossing it aside almost angrily.

The problem with being a double agent, she decided, is that often the other side had people or ideologies that you liked or agreed with, at least in part, and when you turned on them, as was inevitable, they too would turn against you.

She couldn't blame them for that, she just hated causing people she liked any pain.

She still missed Domino from the Brotherhood. Rogue didn't have many girl-friends. There was Kitty, but she was a few years younger than Rogue and often that gap in maturity showed.

Domino was as close as Rogue had ever got to having a best friend, and while she could never have allow the Brotherhood to assassinate the X-Men, her betrayal of Domino had hit Rogue the hardest.

Now she was starting to like Gambit and while they were Thieves, the dynamic of the Guild actually seemed better than the X-Men. If Gambit was to be believed, they didn't abandon their own, they didn't turn their backs, even when you joined the enemy. If she had been Gambit, she too might well have overlooked their illegal ways in order to have a loving family.

Rogue arrived home the next day after a lovely afternoon sightseeing. She didn't expect Gambit to have left any signs that he had searched her suite, so she was surprised to see a huge vase of red roses sitting on her coffee table, a box in front of that and a note resting on the top.

She couldn't help but smile as she reached for the note.

'You were right, ma cher, I didn't find anything. Please allow me to apologise by picking tonight's location. Meet me outside St. Louis Cathedral at 8P.M. I took the trouble of choosing a dress for you. Though not easy, I believe I found something to your beauty.

Remy X'

Rogue bit her lip, feeling both excited to be seeing him again so soon, and bad for letting the X-Men down. She hadn't let them down yet of course, so she just had to keep her eye on the prize. And try to remember exactly why Remy was such an awful human being.

Okay, well first he had stolen the power suppression collar for Senator Kelly and given it to the MRD, then he had set bombs on Genosha, crippling their utilities. Of course soon after that, Magneto had arranged for his own island to be bombed so-

"NO!" She cut that line of thinking off. She couldn't believe that's she was already trying to find excuses for him. There was no excuse for her setting the X-Men up to look like they had attacked Senator Kelly either, but she'd had to do it to prove herself to the Brotherhood.

Rogue got to her feet and began pacing the apartment. She had it bad, only one date and already she was falling for him. That in itself was laughable; she was the untouchable woman, after all, and love was impossible for her, to say nothing of Gambit's traitor status.

She longed to be able to talk to Logan, to ask his advice like she used to, before he left and everything went to hell. These days though, she was more likely to get a lecture rather than any helpful advice.

She wouldn't show up tonight, it was as simple as that. If she didn't see him, she couldn't fall any deeper. Maybe it was mean to stand him up but it wasn't like she had his phone number, and sometimes you had to be cruel to be kind. Only she wasn't sure who exactly she was being cruel or kind to.

Against her better judgement, she found herself opening the box to look at the dress. It couldn't hurt to look, right?

Remy had begun to think that Rogue wouldn't show, she was already ten minutes late but as he turned around, she was standing behind him, looking absolutely stunning in the emerald green dress that he had bought, to match her eyes.