Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

Upon hearing that his brother needed help, Remy caught the first flight and was at the Guild's New York apartment not three hours later.

"So, mon frère, you ready to admit that your little brother is better than you?" he said as he sauntered into the apartment, draping his coat over the closest chair. A job was just about the only thing that could lift his spirits at the moment, so for once he wasn't biting Henri's head off.

"Actually mon petit frère, I have someone who wants to speak to you."

Rogue came out of a side room as she heard the voices, and Remy's expression when he saw her was all the proof she needed that Henri had been right; he did love her. He looked like he'd just seen an angel.

He quickly replaced it with his poker face, but she knew what she'd seen.

"You just can't stay away from the Ragin' Cajun, can you, cher. Looks a little desperate if you ask me."

"Cut the bull, Remy, I'm here to help you."

"Remy don't need no help from the likes of you."

Rogue had hoped that he would hear her out, not that she had anything concrete to tell him, but she had been hopeful that she could convince him. Still, she had learned that sometimes it was hope over experience, which is why she had removed her gloves before she came through. Her hands were currently in her pockets so he had no way of knowing.

Remy wasn't showing much skin himself, so Rogue had to keep her eyes open for an opportunity.

"Remy, will you just listen-"

"Non! Time for you to leave, I think." He grabbed her arm to try and drag her to the door, causing his sleeve to ride up. Rogue took her opportunity, since it might be the only one she got, and grabbed his wrist.

His shocked expression hurt her, but she knew he'd understand eventually. At least she hoped he would.

"What did you do to him?" Henri asked as Remy fell to the floor.

"He'll be fine, Henri. He wasn't going to come willingly but now at least he'll give me a chance to explain when he wakes up."

"You sure, petite?"

"He won't have a choice. Look, if you're worried, you can always come back to the mansion with me."

"I really do have a job to do here," Henri said. "I gotta keep my cover in place, especially if Remy goes missing. Maybe I can stop by tomorrow and see him?"

"Sure. So does anyone else in New Orleans know where he went?"

"Just our père, but he'd die before he'd sell Remy out."

"But will you be safe?"

"Once I'm home, sure. The guild has New Orleans sewn up, ain't no one gonna get to us there. You just take care of Remy, we can take care of ourselves."

"Okay, well call if you need anything, okay."

"Same to you, petite."

With surprising strength for someone so small, Rogue put Remy over her shoulder, then made her way to the elevator. Thankfully she had thought to come in the blackbird, which she had parked on the roof, so she wouldn't draw any stares as she carried an unconscious Remy over her shoulder through the city.

Remy woke up to find himself strapped to a bed, not a situation that helped to relax him at all. He bent his fingers around until he could touch the straps to charged them, only there was no charge. His powers were gone!